Racing 2T Shelf Life according to Mobil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I sent their oil tech the shelf life question and thought those like myself who had hoarded it by the case might like to know his response:

"The shelf life estimates for Mobil Racing 2T are 12 months if packaged in
plastic bottles, and 24 months if in any other package material including HDPE bottles. The shelf life applies from the date of manufacture to those products in their originally sealed containers stored in a sheltered environment under good house-keeping practices with ambient temperatures between 40 and 120 deg F."

Note that the factory bottles are HDPE (I looked). I have about 9 quarts more than I can use before they go bad. So... at the next GTG I'll be handing them out to whoever would like a quart to try.

Ian

Is the MD on the bottles?..........I don't want to go to the shed and see.

Last edited:
After the shelf life it would make good bar oil.:greenchainsaw:

Yes, it's in light letters just below the cap on the back of the bottle. There's a row of dark print and then a lighter row below that. The date on mine is 11/13/06.

Ian

Edit: Went through all of them and found 4 quarts with a July 05 date.

Last edited:
Yes, it's in light letters just below the cap on the back of the bottle. There's a row of dark print and then a lighter row below that. The date on mine is 11/13/06.

Ian

Edit: Went through all of them and found 4 quarts with a July 05 date.

I had to go check on mine..............Auto Zone sold me outdated oil
11 qts. all Feb 2005. Think I will e-mail Mobil, ask same ?, with
my receipt and e-mail in hand go to Auto Zone.

I had to go check on mine..............Auto Zone sold me outdated oil
11 qts. all Feb 2005. Think I will e-mail Mobil, ask same ?, with
my receipt and e-mail in hand go to Auto Zone.

You've got three weeks to use it ;)

Nothing magic happens at month 24... If there is any degradation.. it's likely a continous process based on oxygen migration through the bottle materail... and Mobil will be very very conservative.

Nothing magic happens at month 24... If there is any degradation.. it's likely a continous process based on oxygen migration through the bottle materail... and Mobil will be very very conservative.

You'r math is off by bout 1 year.........It's 2008 :hmm3grin2orange:

Your off a year...its going to be February 08 in 3 weeks....thats 3 years past the manu date.

I remember hearing ultra stocking up...wonder how many he has stockpiled? Maybe he'll sell me some cheap lol. ;)

I have switched almost all my stuff to Ultra,.......I thought I had got
a bad batch of gas (2T makes a nice pretty pink mix) but I did have
some 2T mix that turned a nasty rusty color in about one week,
tossed it in the farm truck. I did mill with the 2T this weekend though
it has been mixed for 2 months or better, still nice and pink.

Nothing magic happens at month 24... If there is any degradation.. it's likely a continous process based on oxygen migration through the bottle material... and Mobil will be very very conservative.

That's it... I'm dipping every bottle in sealing wax... I'll get a night job at the Maker's Mark factory and dip one bottle a night when they aren't looking. I'll even put the tape thingy on it for peeling it off.

Ian

I just looked at two bottles of Mobil Racing 2T.. no date code... heck, it's just to hand out to my neighbors anyhow.. $5.89 a quart at Shucks.

The last stuff I bought from my local autozone didn't have any dye in it. The non dyed stuff is probably before the dates and pre 05 .

Back