Couple sue over damage to trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetreeLady

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Article taken from the Lawrence Eagle-Tribune

METHUEN -- A North Street couple are suing the city and a private contractor for as much as $100,000 for injuring 17 spruce trees in front of their house.

James S. and Claire A. Greene planted the trees 38 years ago as 2-foot saplings. The pines grew to about 40 feet and served as a buffer that provided privacy and muted traffic noise.

But three years ago, a private contractor hired by the city to replace a water main piled sand, rocks and other materials around the base of the trees. Some dirt piles were 5 feet high and sat there for three months, which the Greenes said killed the trees.

Today, the sickly looking spruce trees have dead branches and are missing their needles from the ground to about 10 feet high. Rocks and black tar chunks are still scattered around the base of the trees.

"It's not a pleasant thing to go to court to hold your town government responsible," said James Greene, an administrator for a nonprofit agency. "But we had no other choice."

The lawsuit was filed in Essex Superior Court by Cambridge lawyer Bruce T. Macdonald. He said although state law prevents him from seeking a certain amount in damages, the total could exceed $100,000.

"Those trees have been there for a long time and they were some beautiful cover," Macdonald said. "Frankly, I think it's reduced the value of the house."

Maurice J. Lariviere, the city's lawyer, said he is still reviewing the case and has not decided how he will move forward. The city did send an arborist out to inspect the trees when the incident occurred, but no remedy was ever offered, the Greenes said.

"The policy in the past is it is the responsibility of the contractor if they cause the damage," Lariviere said.

The private contractor, Dami and Sons of Wilmington, could not be reached for comment.

The Greenes want the spruces replaced with a new mix of bushes and trees, which could cost upward of $10,000. But, the 38-year-old trees can never be replaced, they said.

"We're looking to replace what was there prior to what we think was the damage cost to us," James Greene said.

Landscaping is Claire Greene's hobby and she hates to see the dying trees. The rest of the property is immaculately pruned and decorated with exotic plants, bushes and a goldfish pond.

"I am heartbroken," she said. "I could cry every time I go down there."

THE LAW

Massachusetts General Law Chapter 242: Willful trespass to trees; damages

"A person who without a license willfully cuts down, carries away, girdles or other wise destroys trees, timber, wood or underwood on the land of another shall be liable to the owner in tort for three times the amount of the damages assessed therefore ..."

Just curious if you know if the trees were within the city easement? If they were, then I don't think the homeowners would have a case.

Don't know. The article didn't say and although I'm familiar with the area I'm not familiar with the property. I'd think that if the city was within its bounds it wouldn't have gotten to this point.

Well, I'll keep up with the story and see where it goes! My brother lives in Methuen so I'm sure I can get all the "dirt" needed!

Originally posted by NetreeLady
[/B] a private contractor hired by the city to replace a water main piled sand, rocks and other materials around the base of the trees. Some dirt piles were 5 feet high and sat there for three months, which the Greenes said killed the trees.

& What about root cutting and flooding? Were they also factors?

state law prevents him from seeking a certain amount in damages, the total could exceed $100,000.

& What state law sets a limit?

"Those trees have been there for a long time and they were some beautiful cover," Macdonald said. "Frankly, I think it's reduced the value of the house."

& No doubt it has.

The city did send an arborist out to inspect the trees when the incident occurred, but no remedy was ever offered, the Greenes said.

& Why not? What did this arborist do, if not offer a remedy?

"The policy in the past is it is the responsibility of the contractor if they cause the damage," Lariviere said.

& City may still be named as defendant; ultimately responsible.

The Greenes want the spruces replaced with a new mix of bushes and trees, which could cost upward of $10,000. "We're looking to replace what was there ...," James Greene said.

& So why not replace with the largest transplantable spruce? A "new mix" may be a good way to appraise (cost of cure), but replacement cost can be more clear and more defensible.

"A person who without a license willfully cuts down, carries away, girdles or other wise destroys trees, timber, wood or underwood on the land of another shall be liable to the owner in tort for three times the amount of the damages assessed therefore ..." [/B]
Not uncommon; in NC damages are doubled for trespass.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
If the trees are in the easement, tough(expletive deleted). If the trees are beyond the easement and on private property, then the contractor is guilty of trespass and damaging the trees.
It may not be that easy; trees often cross property lines and force both owners to be nice. If the trunks are on private property but roots and branches are in easement, then contractor may be obligated to avoid damaging private property (trees). Access to easement is not absolute, and cannot enable contractor to be reckless or negligent.

Speakling of pipes, we should take some pictures of the carnage going on downtown while they extend the water/sewer service.

Guy... saw this photo, and I couldn't help but think of you...
attachment.php

I've been chased outta a tree by a redneck with a shotgun, before.

We came back later, and did the deed, with the law.

Thinking back, I shoulda sued that inbred...:alien:

Easements can be a beeotch...;)

LOL, Good one, I have a T Shirt that says, "Save a tree, wipe your a$$ with a spotted owl.

Kenn

Well, the tree-huggers pizz and moan about the loggers, but there's wood in their homes somewhere, and I'm pretty sure you can bet they're not wiping with Glad...

;)

Are all 17 trees dying? More questions than answers here. One thing's clear tho; destruction of city trees that are private property have nothing to do with harvesting rural trees for fiber.

The first is a crime, the second is a legitimate business. Derailing the thread with tp and owl "jokes" does disrespect to the original poster, but erik can handle that fallout, right?

HAH!! THAT issue is still up for debate. YES I BROKE A TAIL LIGHT GOING FORWARD!! I'm never gonna hear the end of this one. OK, so here's the story. He bought his (almost) brand new truck on a Thursday. Friday I drove it all the way home from the dealership (over 100 miles, on the Mass Turnpike, in the dark, arrived home about midnight) and parked it. Just fine, no problems. HE parked the other pickup, the chipper, the bucket truck etc. all kindsa packed into the yard. Saturday I went to go to the store and had to maneuver around all the above named vehicles AND try not to hit the house and just managed to bump the ring on the chipper with the right rear taillight on the truck and cracked it. So this is why "I can't drive".

damm women drivers LOL,but hey you got the truck back in one peice:cool: we have some ok logging stickers''fertilize the bush doze in a greenie''take that anyway you want:D ''the only real wilderness is between a greenies ears''or guys ears LOL.

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
One thing's clear tho; destruction of city trees that are private property have nothing to do with harvesting rural trees for fiber.

City trees that are private property? What does that mean?

Re: Re: Couple sue over damage to trees

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur
state law prevents him from seeking a certain amount in damages, the total could exceed $100,000.

& What state law sets a limit?
The law may require that when the lawsuit is entered that there isn't a starting damage sought...that that decision be left up to the judge/jury.

Wisconsin has some stiff tort laws, too. I think it's three times as well for willful. Two times for imprudent.

Elizabeth:

Did you quoute the Mass statute correctly? My guess is it should read "any person who, without license" , as opposed to "any person who, without "a" license".

"License" in the legal sense, means "permission".

I doubt if the statue has any application here because the act of destroying the tree must be done "willfully".

On another note, it might make a big difference if the trees were killed by the fill material placed on top of the roots or if the trees were killed by the roots being cut when the path for the water pipe was dug. The first death would be caused by trespass and negligence and the second cause of death might simply have been unavoidable.

I would bring this case as one of inverse condemnation. When the government takes private property for public use it must pay for it. This is the found in the "takings" clause of the Federal Constitution. Inversely, when the gov't destroys private property for public use but does not pay for it, the U.S. Supreme Court has allowed the owner to sue the government to pay for the property "taken".

Often this gets the owner around the sovereign immunity enjoyed by Federal and State governments. Sovereigns can only be sued in tort with their consent. The Federal Government has opened itself up to limited suits under the Federal Tort Claims Act. All State's have adopted similar Tort Claims Acts permitting themselves to be sued in tort, but the grant is limited. Outside the Tort Claims Act, the sovereign is protected by the age old maxim - adopted from the English monarchy - that the king can do no wrong.

Steven

Last edited:
Back