Why we don't top Eucs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outofmytree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I discovered this Eucalyptus camaldulensis recently and just had to take a few photographs. If there are any arborists who still think topping trees is ok then check this out.

attachment.php

This tree is over 25 metres high and is less than 6metres from the HV and 8metres from the housing units behind. There is no good direction for this tree to lose a limb. Now have a look at the branch attachments.

attachment.php

attachment.php

These little guys look really cute don't they. I took this photo just after the one on the right climbed out of the nest they have made in the hollow created by topping the tree. The leader attached to that rotten hollowed stub will weigh at least 1 1/2 tonnes. This tree is the tallest in any direction for hundreds of metres and will experience 100% of the wind force above 15 metres altitude at any time.

attachment.php

The typical attachment of epicormic growth on E.camaldulensis here in Perth looks like this.

attachment.php

Ask yourself this question. Would you let your children play under this tree?

:popcorn:

About 7 years back I refused a client who wanted me to top a large euc in the front of his property, near a few lines. I told him it was cowboy hack work and gave him the name of a company that would do it because I wouldnt.

fast forward to this friday gone, I turn up to a job I am contract climbing on for the company I had "recommended" all those years back, guess what tree I was being sent up?

Lots of bad unions, dead pollards and a mornings really ugly climbing. no good deed goes unpunished.

i recently took down a E. globulus that had been topped about 10 years before hand, i looked at few possible tie ins then thought ill just keep my ropes on the original trunk and move them alot rather than use 1 central tie in point.

the branch i was thinking of using as a tie in, when time came to cut it out i threw a pull line into it for the groundy to tug on and being a smart ass the groundy gave the rope a good tug to piss me off.

CRACK the branch falls gracefully out of the tree with just the pull of the groundy no cuts at all.

a bloody good reason not to top trees.

The birds look like they have found a home,If they had not been topped they would have no where to nest!!

Great pics OMT captures well an example of historic poor work.
Amazing how those limbs can keep standing up given the weak attachment, just a matter of time. Then onto the Hv for Lv injection and flash pow lights out.

Observation, I only learnt last weeks was the Lorikeets birds in the hollow have a bounty on their heads in Perth WA.
The rainbow lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus) was introduced into the wild in Perth, Western Australia, during the 1960s. When lorikeets were first recorded in the wild in Perth no action was taken to remove them. From fewer than 10 escaped or released birds, the population is now distributed over a large part of the metropolitan area and may expand to number over 20 000 birds by 2010. The bird is now a declared pest here. Rainbow lorikeets aggressively protect feeding and
nesting resources, potentially excluding native species. Rainbow lorikeets can be shot or live-trapped on private land The notice requires that in shooting or trapping birds no damage is to be caused to any trees.
These birds are so bold cute n squawky its very hard to consider to pop em dead.

Last edited:
Great pics OMT captures well an example of historic poor work.
Amazing how those limbs can keep standing up given the weak attachment, just a matter of time. Then onto the Hv for Lv injection and flash pow lights out.

Observation, I only learnt last weeks was the Lorikeets birds in the hollow have a bounty on their heads in Perth WA.
The rainbow lorikeet (Trichoglossus haematodus) was introduced into the wild in Perth, Western Australia, during the 1960s. When lorikeets were first recorded in the wild in Perth no action was taken to remove them. From fewer than 10 escaped or released birds, the population is now distributed over a large part of the metropolitan area and may expand to number over 20 000 birds by 2010. The bird is now a declared pest here. Rainbow lorikeets aggressively protect feeding and
nesting resources, potentially excluding native species. Rainbow lorikeets can be shot or live-trapped on private land The notice requires that in shooting or trapping birds no damage is to be caused to any trees.
These birds are so bold cute n squawky its very hard to consider to pop em dead.

Holy colourful birds Batman!! Rainbow lorikeets are a pest? I had no idea! They look so cute.....

The birds look like they have found a home,If they had not been topped they would have no where to nest!!

Hey Alopa. That bucket job on your website (4th picture down on 1st page) looks like it had a very large DBH for such narrow major leaders. Was that a euc that was previously topped? Where the boom crosses the trunk looks like the spot?!

Actually I just took a closer look at your gallery and that kerbside crane job was on a badly abused Euc too! That topping disease gets around doesnt it!

Last edited:
Neither trees had been previously topped,Its always sad to see a hollow go:mad:

Neither trees had been previously topped,Its always sad to see a hollow go:mad:

Actually if the owners of the tree I pictured were going to remove it (and I have no idea what they plan as I have had no reply to my letter), I would like to see the log left on site. No reason why we cant retain habitat on a decent size open garden and still reduce the risk of electrical hazard. My concern with the tree is the almost inevitable snap out and knowing the species as I do, just how big and dangerous it would be.

That crane job in your gallery looks like it has been topped twice with those really open crotches. Do you happen to recall what species it was? Im sure you know whether the tree was topped I am just curious about the form.
:cheers:

Mountain grey gum from memory.99% sure it had never been touched.

Come on A lopa!

Get down with some latin arbor bro!

Mountain grey gum?

E. pulverulenta?

Maybe .02 of the arborists here have any idea which euc you speak of.

Speak to the 2 percent of us who delude ourselves into thinking we are euc men!

They are spectacular trees, some would justifiably argue they are the world's tallest tree, at a recent point in history.

E. Regnans I believe?

jomoco

Last edited:
Rows of trees that are topped sure stand out. Even a half mile away, the line of height of topping sticks out like a sore thumb. One of the most memorable is driving north out of Central Point, Oregon, on the right prior to reaching the Interstate 5 ramp.

Latest posts

Back