Knarly Oak Tree 1: Stihl MS660 Zero

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlycherry1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I knew the tree was going to be nasty because it was a crooked old mother tree, oak, with lots of branches going all over the place. The trunk had two bends in it that made reading the lean nearly impossible. I cut everything around it so as to get as good a view of it as possible but still it was very questionable about how it was going to go.

I was cutting with my brand new MS660 which has had about 15 tanks of gas through it. Very nice saw that was not even dirty yet.

I was working with another AS member and he and I both studied this tree for a while trying to figure it out. It was hard to read and both of us thought we had it figured out. Ironically I told the other AS member just before I started that big knarly trees like this one can fall incorrectly taking the saw with them which I have seen and heard of before.

So I made my wedge cut and started the backcut and then used some wedges to lean the bugger over as best I could. The tree did not budge and I carefully kept cutting and then disaster struck! It started over right towards the saw. Instantly it was caught and so I let go and got the F out of the way as I watched in horror as this ~20" oak took my saw and drove it into the ground! I know plenty of folks that have gotten hurt trying to save their saws in these situations but I knew to just let it ride her out.

The tree fell over and because of all the crook it jumped about 6' from the stump after it pounded my saw into the snow and dirt. After everything settled we dug in the snow and this is what we found: :cry::cry::cry:

Picture085.jpg

Picture088.jpg

I will need a tank and carb cover along with a new trigger assembly, but the main parts of the saw survived. It seems to have come through in not too bad of shape considering the trauma it went through.

So I am starting the look for parts and I now have my first official "project saw." The other AS member is a motor head and he has volunteered to do the repair work and I will supply him the parts. Pretty good deal for me. :)

Oh, and the old knarly oak, I went to my truck and got out my 30 year old 051AV and I blocked that :censored: tree into firewood so it will never hurt another chainsaw. :mad:

Gee, what a bad deal. :cry: At least you are OK.

That is the important thing. No sense in getting mashed up trying to save a saw. I good friend that used to sell us firewood got mashed up pretty bad trying to save his saw one day. The tree pinched his hand on the saw and he could not get away.

i had the exact same thing happen to me on a real big old rotten ash thing must have had 3 2o inch trunks coming out of it it looked like a very solid tree but was i got into my back cut when it was going down something couldn't the saw that wouldn't let it go so i ran for my life at that point it kept going down and as it went it twisted the saw underneath it and crushed it.

R.I.P stihl ms 460

Sorry to hear about your saw, but good thing your unscathed. Is the handlebar bent too? I doubt your going to find a like new used 066/660 tank for that saw. IMO its too nice of a saw to put a beatup tank on it. I think we should all chip in and donate to get you a new tank. Maybe some dealer on here could offer one at cost or near cost so its more cost effective. I have no problem donating...I'll let someone else handle all the other details.

Weve delt with this over on the loggin side .

Thats what they make starter cords for .. yes I have smashed 3 or 4 saws .. I have saved my saws dozens of times !!!! Eiither with the starter cord or with a spencer tape quick run thru the pistol grip ,grab the nail end , get in the clear and when the tree starts sliding down the side of the stump give a big pull and jerk your saw in the clear ... .. Sometimes things do happen too quick to do anything tho .... . I,ve smashed a Madsen,s modified 044 , 064 , an Ace Morgan 394 , and I think 1 more saw , can,t remember which one tho ........
I hope your main case is ok......
. . It is usually a good idea to go and look at the far side to check your holding wood ............ If things don,t look like they will go right , get your saw ouy of the tree , look things over .. often you can go up the tree 3 feet or so , face it a different direction and fall it ok ....... With frozen timber .. the only truly reliable wedge is a 12" maggy ,( aluminum ) .......Use a couple textured hard plastics like a K&H and the maggy to keep what you gain . It won,t spit out , but they don,t drive very well ...

I smashed my 028 awhile back, it even broke the case at the rear av point, I fixed it with ebay parts, but I ended up with more in it than it was worth, to some. I hope yours is not so bad. I ran when it was me, glad to see you did to.

Thats what they make starter cords for .. yes I have smashed 3 or 4 saws .. I have saved my saws dozens of times !!!! Eiither with the starter cord or with a spencer tape quick run thru the pistol grip ,grab the nail end , get in the clear and when the tree starts sliding down the side of the stump give a big pull and jerk your saw in the clear ... .. Sometimes things do happen too quick to do anything tho .... . I,ve smashed a Madsen,s modified 044 , 064 , an Ace Morgan 394 , and I think 1 more saw , can,t remember which one tho ........
I hope your main case is ok......
. . It is usually a good idea to go and look at the far side to check your holding wood ............ If things don,t look like they will go right , get your saw ouy of the tree , look things over .. often you can go up the tree 3 feet or so , face it a different direction and fall it ok ....... With frozen timber .. the only truly reliable wedge is a 12" maggy ,( aluminum ) .......Use a couple textured hard plastics like a K&H and the maggy to keep what you gain . It won,t spit out , but they don,t drive very well ...

Sorry about your smashed saws but good tips about saving them in the future.
At the end of day though saws are replaceable and people are not.

Thats what they make starter cords for .. yes I have smashed 3 or 4 saws .. I have saved my saws dozens of times !!!! Eiither with the starter cord or with a spencer tape quick run thru the pistol grip ,grab the nail end , get in the clear and when the tree starts sliding down the side of the stump give a big pull and jerk your saw in the clear ... ...

NOW you tell me these good ideas! I should have skipped the wedges. With the wedges and that 660 it cut the tree clean off and then the tree went over. Without the wedges the saw would have gotten pinched earlier and stopped cutting and then it would have been a simple job of taking the head off the bar and leaving the bar behind in the tree. Then finish off the tree with another saw. I have bent 2-3 bars in my past life, but they are cheaper than a saw.

Starter rope - yep going to add that one to my bag of tricks. :clap:

just grab the starter handle and step around the high side.

Ya , all ya gotta do ... Like I said , sometimes you CAN<T save it . but there is almost always an instant where if your pulling on the starter handle for dear life the tree will realese it,s pressure and you can get the power head free ... I,ve goty the saw free and took off running for our lives "mine and the saws" .. I,ve tossed the saw 20 feet and hid behind the stump , big stumps obviously .... Most of the time you can save the power head at least ,, but you need to be real aggressive , but also safety conscious ............. I am very sorry for your saw and you . 660 tanks are pretty easy to come by Get a USA full wrap handle bar while you are at it . A 660 needs a wrap handle bar ....

I was working with another AS member and he and I both studied this tree for a while trying to figure it out.

Thankfully it's not the other AS member writing a thread titled "Mourning for Curlycherry1" and telling us where to send flowers.

Now that you have taken the saw apart, and probably voided the warranty you can mod it!!

Or fleabay it "Stihl MS 660, cracked case".

Good luck, hope the rest of the year is better!

Latest posts

Back