076 v 090 v 880 v 3120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john inglis

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi ,what are the merits of the saws compared to each other , i have both the 076 and 090 but wonder if a modern saw would be better in a mill setup . ive owned an aussie made forestmill ( two circular blades at right angles driven by vw motor ) but would like a compact mill i can get to logs on site

hi ,what are the merits of the saws compared to each other , i have both the 076 and 090 but wonder if a modern saw would be better in a mill setup . ive owned an aussie made forestmill ( two circular blades at right angles driven by vw motor ) but would like a compact mill i can get to logs on site

They are all very good milling saws. I have an 076 and an 880 and have used a 3120 for about 2 weeks of milling.
In stock form

076: 9500 rpm carby limited, good torque, reliable, harder to get parts, heavish, best exhaust location
090: 8000 rpm limited, torque monster so can run can run lower rakers and bigger sprocket, very heavy, parts still available.poor exhaust location.
Both these saws have an outboard clutch and the fuel cap on top of the saw so both cannot be refueled mid slab because the fuel cap is then on its side ie PITA
3120; 9500 rpm coil limited, fixed H jet, outboard clutch, Outboard chain tensioner awkward to get at while saw on conventional mil and mill mounting to bar method means clutch cover must be retained, poor exhaust location.
880: 12000 rpm coil limited. inboard clutch and chain tensioner, poor exhaust location

Depending on log size CS milling is chain speed limited so higher RPMs help. Extra torque can be translated to extra chain speed using bigger sprocket and can utilize higher cutter angles. With a small amount of finesse the 090 is still the fastest cutter in big logs, but for smaller logs nothing will beat the higher RPM saws.

My guess is it will come down to how far you have to carry the sucker to the log. But even with the 090 you can always add wheels to a CS mill like this.
attachment.php

Last edited:
IIRC, the pre 2000 model 3120xp had a higher limit on the coil(like 11K or so), and at least first year production model year (1988?) had a fully adjustable carb rather than requiring jet reaming/replacing like later models. (USA models)

The 3120xp powerhead weighs some 23# which is the same as an 066 or 660 with 25" B&C.

I thought my 3120xp from the mid 1990s to be very smooth, but do most of my milling with a 066 with BB kit.

IIRC, the pre 2000 model 3120xp had a higher limit on the coil(like 11K or so), and at least first year production model year (1988?) had a fully adjustable carb rather than requiring jet reaming/replacing like later models. (USA models)
Yeah - why'd they do that?

The 3120xp powerhead weighs some 23# which is the same as an 066 or 660 with 25" B&C.
The 880 powerhead is very similar at 22.3 lbs

I thought my 3120xp from the mid 1990s to be very smooth, but do most of my milling with a 066 with BB kit.
I agree it is a smooth saw.

hi and thank you for the tips , your right about the 090 vibes , the one i have is an av model and it still gives a reasonable tingle when you load it up . i first owned this saw about 15 years ago and sold it to a good mate of mine . i asked him about it a few weeks ago and we are doing a swap for another saw ,probably the 076 . it is interesting that a bb 660 cuts okay as i have a 660 but have left it standard so far as it already has the twin port exhaust. i would love an 880 as have used an 084 on a portable mill cutting 3' hardwood and it worked very well . i might have to part with a couple of saws and upgrade .

hi and thank you for the tips , your right about the 090 vibes , the one i have is an av model and it still gives a reasonable tingle when you load it up . i first owned this saw about 15 years ago and sold it to a good mate of mine . i asked him about it a few weeks ago and we are doing a swap for another saw ,probably the 076 . it is interesting that a bb 660 cuts okay as i have a 660 but have left it standard so far as it already has the twin port exhaust. i would love an 880 as have used an 084 on a portable mill cutting 3' hardwood and it worked very well . i might have to part with a couple of saws and upgrade .

Wow, swap an 076 for an 090AV? Guess who wins on that deal!

076 for 090

hi , just so i dont give the wrong impression the 076 is fully sorted with an excellent bar and new 404 chain with another saw as parts ( nearly complete ) while the 090 has been a bit neglected and required a strip and cleanup and the manual oiler does not seem to be working . Engine wise it feels good and while tuning carb set up a pretty high whistle till i got mixtures sorted , compression is good and the saw has not done a lot of hard work as i owned two forest mills when i first owned this saw and while it has not been looked after (my mate loaned it to another friend who is fairly rough on alloy bits) it is quite sound engine wise . Will fit it up with 36" 404 for now and give it a good workout as soon as i find a drive cover tho i could use the broken one untill i find a good one . does anyone know if the clutch covers are weldable . have a good day guys, good talking to you . there are few cad sufferers nearby .

hi brmorgan, noticed that you have an 045 , wondered what you think of them as i have 2 in bits but all there but for muffler , have one sick one , is it worth putting one back together , dont know much about them

Last edited:
hi , just so i dont give the wrong impression the 076 is fully sorted with an excellent bar and new 404 chain with another saw as parts ( nearly complete ) while the 090 has been a bit neglected and required a strip and cleanup and the manual oiler does not seem to be working .
does anyone know if the clutch covers are weldable . have a good day guys, good talking to you . there are few cad sufferers nearby .
I doubt they are weldable but new ones are available, see
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QA+11066+480412&catID=313

Magnesium is weldable if you're a wizard with a TIG torch. But unless you have a close friend who meets the criteria and is willing to do the work for free or a case of beer etc., I doubt you'd end up very far ahead of buying new if you had to pay someone to do it. And afterwards you'd have to paint it anyway. Well, I guess you wouldn't have to.

You will need to hot soak the park in solvant to get the grease out. I have a friend that welds magnesium for me when I have a part I don't want to try myself. i.e. it has to be done right the first time. lol

He either hot soaks in solvant or bakes it in an oven. The oil that is simply part of chainsaw operation soaks into the magnesium and makes for bad welding properties. He has done some welds for me that I just touched up lightly with a sander and could not tell the part was fixed.

Mr. HE:cool:

You will need to hot soak the park in solvant to get the grease out. I have a friend that welds magnesium for me when I have a part I don't want to try myself. i.e. it has to be done right the first time. lol

He either hot soaks in solvant or bakes it in an oven. The oil that is simply part of chainsaw operation soaks into the magnesium and makes for bad welding properties. He has done some welds for me that I just touched up lightly with a sander and could not tell the part was fixed.

Yeah Magnesium is a very porous metal. Just when you think you've gotten it clean it makes you look like an idiot. I hate it because I have a hard time getting JB Weld to stick to it well.

Yeah Magnesium is a very porous metal. Just when you think you've gotten it clean it makes you look like an idiot. I hate it because I have a hard time getting JB Weld to stick to it well.

The funny thing is that porosity should make the JB Weld stick better. But as you said, that is not always the case.

Some of the newer Magnesium cases seem to weld and JB Weld better. I think they are using an alloy that is finer grained, not as open to absorb oil and air. It also seems a little less brittle. I might also just be imagining it since I have not conducted any scientific comparisons.

I don't think your imagining it. I'm pretty good with a good tig machine but seem to be getting way better with Magnesium lately too. It seems to clean up much better. It must be something those crafty metallurgy guys are doing to keep the porosity down. I'm not really doing anything differently but get better results.

Magnesium is weldable if you're a wizard with a TIG torch. But unless you have a close friend who meets the criteria and is willing to do the work for free or a case of beer etc., I doubt you'd end up very far ahead of buying new if you had to pay someone to do it. And afterwards you'd have to paint it anyway. Well, I guess you wouldn't have to.

+1 TIG with Magnesium rod I am pretty sure.

Trever

I have tig welded magnesium automotive parts that had oil residue and it will not weld if it's not cleaned of all oil. If it's not clean when you strike an arc, it blows the magnesium or aluminum onto the 2 percent tungsten tip specific for welding magnesium or aluminum.

I have a liquid soap cleaner I bought 20 years ago that was made for cleaning aluminum/ magnesium. Cleaned with this solution and hot water the parts can be welded. It is no longer made so I bogart what I have left. I've been experimenting with a mixture of Simple Green and muriatic acid with pretty good results. Too much acid in the solution though will etch the alloys.

jerry-

Latest posts

Back