Home Depot Makita!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stock50s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up guys! I read about the used rental saws and thought I would try my hands at getting one. The first HD I called said that they have not sold one in a long time and that the rental items were not HD's but a separate company. I figured that it could be some weird Cali thing or maybe because emissions.

Well I decided to call another one and asked if they sell the used Makita's. He said yes they do and after typing some stuff into the computer he said it would be $205 plus tax. This morning I headed over there and was able to get one. There were three of them and they all looked in the same shape but the guy picked one out for me and said that one of the other saws had a few issues staying running and the other would leak bar oil.

I made some comment that the fuel and oil caps looked really beat up (the part where the scrench pry's against was really chewed up) and without hesitation he went back and swapped the caps out for better ones on one of the other saws. He also went in the back room and brought out a new air filter for it. The guy was really nice and I thought it was very cool that he would do it without me even asking.

I slid the bar guard off and as I expected there was a HD marked bar and rocked safety chain. Thanks to you guys I knew the bars were poor quality so I asked him if he would sell just the power head. He made a quick call to management and ended up giving me about half off what a knew b/c and cover would cost. I got it for $180 and it was a tad under $200 out the door!!!

Here are some pics of how it looked when I bought it.

chainsaw008.jpg

chainsaw016.jpg

chainsaw013.jpg

Not bad looking for a rental saw but I knew there was some more beauty hidden under the stickers and sap. I decided to clean it up a little so I tore her down a little and went to town cleaning it.

chainsaw019.jpg

chainsaw023.jpg

The p/c looked great and I was happy to find that no bolts or bolt heads were stripped out and everything appeared to be in great shape. Once cleaned up, she got a new Carlton b/c combo (Baileys closeout) and I cut up some large oak. The saw cuts excellent as it is but sure would be fun with the 7900 p/c. I think I will have to place another order with baileys soon when the HD air filter come in and get them both at once.

I just wanted to thank everyone on this site again so sharing awesome info and giving a heads up on hidden deals. Some final pics for your viewing pleasure.

chainsaw024.jpg

chainsaw027.jpg

chainsaw028.jpg

Last edited:
Nice score and good job cleaning her up.
I still have to bug my local HD for one of those.

Good Lookin 'Kita!!!!

I wish our Local HD had rentals so I could legally steal them too! LOL!!

New Saw Rep inbound!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have always wondered how much less power you would feel with the 6400?

I would get the 7900 upgrade from edge and engine. I just got the HD filter but have not really put it to the test.

Wow! great deal. looks like brand new:chainsawguy:

That saw looks great! Gonna have to check the HD near me in Plymouth,MA.
They have a tool rental section and I've seen those makita's lined up.:chainsawguy:

great score on the saw!

i wish there were some rental stors but were a bit to rual--lol!:chainsawguy:

Welcome to AS. Big difference between before and after, now go out and get it all dirty again.:cheers:

Back