2.5"-3.5" Rod Hydraulic Cylinder-Where to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lancelwh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to outfit my 2nd homemade log splitter with a 4" to 5" x 24" hydraulic cylinder. When looking at Timberwolf and the Built-rite models, they use 3"+ rod sizes in their 4.5-5" cylinders. It seems that this can create more force as well as more strenght to the extended cylinder.

What are the benefits of this bigger rod and does anyone, please, know where i can view some with prices? I've done all kinds of google searches and cant find squat.

I plan on putting a 10hp +/- diesel engine on it. I'll post my progress pictures once i get all my parts and pieces. It will probably be a china replica unless i stumple on a boatload of cash for a Hatz or Lombardini.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Push force will be the same as it is pressure times the bore area, regardless of rod side.

Bigger rod is usually used on longer strokes, where buckling of the rod becomes an issue when it is extended out.

Pull force will be less because of less area.
Pull/retract speed will be faster (usually) because of the same pump flow gpm has a smaller net area in the cylinder to fill to cause it to retract, thus they cylinder moves faster.

I say 'usually' because if the lines are large enough for the flow to get out of the closed side properly, the retract speed will be 'flow limited' by the pump capacity. Then it will retract faster than it extends, as common sense would indicate.

However, if the hoses or valves are too restrictive for the high flow out the closed side, the system can become 'pressure limited' instead of flow limited. It will actually retract slower than it extends. This sounds contrary to common sense, but it is a common situation in servo controlled systems, and in home brew system with small ports and hoses on big area cylinders.

Try SurplusCenter.com for cylinders

kcj

Go 4", you will have faster cycle time with plenty of power. When I built mine I was gung ho with a 5"x30"w/2" rod with a barnes 22gpm pump. You will need some steel to back up that 5"cylinder. I wish I went with a 4" with 2" rod. Good Luck
Chuck D.

Go 4", you will have faster cycle time with plenty of power. When I built mine I was gung ho with a 5"x30"w/2" rod with a barnes 22gpm pump. You will need some steel to back up that 5"cylinder. I wish I went with a 4" with 2" rod. Good Luck
Chuck D.

Did you make a thread containing the pictures of your build?

Fuel tank is a 30lbs. feon tank, the hydro tank is 21.5" dia. pipe holds 25 gals
28mckeh.jpg

Push plate is 8x8 the sliding plate is 12x12
2eq8612.jpg

3y6fk.jpg

18 hp Briggs
wssetg.jpg

First two pics are the clamping system that I came up with. There only three things welded to the beam and frame the wedge, anchor plate, the square tubing I used for setting the working height of 32". Everything else can be removed
2vskvvp.jpg

10hsnef.jpg

The wedge was set 3 degrees forward. It may or may not matter, helps to keep the wood from climbing up the wedge.
256qu7k.jpg

I twisted the beam splitting spruce with the 4way wedge. I am going to box in the tail of the beam for strength and laminate the beam with a 1/2" plate soon.
2zydd29.jpg

Our local Big R store sells a 4" x 24" tie rod cyl for about $160. Also, a guy (who's getting his mill up and running) brought me a catalog from a company out of TN called Bailys. I may have spelled it wrong, and it's not the same Bailey's that does the chainsaw stuff out in CA. This place does mostly hydraulics and bearings. They sold cylinders for about the same price, and they had pretty much everything you would need for a splitter except the steel. Their bearings were dirt cheap. The catalog is on my desk at work. I'll post their info tomorrow.

Our local Big R store sells a 4" x 24" tie rod cyl for about $160.

Yeah, I bought a 4x24x2 at Rural King in New Castle or Van Wert for $170+tax.

I'll google that company and what the sell to see if i can find it on the web, but will look forward to your post Monday or Tuesday with their name.

Our local Big R store sells a 4" x 24" tie rod cyl for about $160. Also, a guy (who's getting his mill up and running) brought me a catalog from a company out of TN called Bailys. I may have spelled it wrong, and it's not the same Bailey's that does the chainsaw stuff out in CA. This place does mostly hydraulics and bearings. They sold cylinders for about the same price, and they had pretty much everything you would need for a splitter except the steel. Their bearings were dirt cheap. The catalog is on my desk at work. I'll post their info tomorrow.

Got 'em bookmarked. Only done business with them a couple times, but positive experience both times.

It is Bailey's, rather than Bailys. They're out of Knoxville TN, if I remember right.

Here's the Link

Remember the OP is not looking for a standard cylinder with a 1.75 or 2" ram. He wants a 3.5" ram which will cut down his cycle time.

OP, I am researching the same thing. These are the specs I want:
- 5" bore
- 24" stroke
- 3.5 or larger ram
- 3/4" JIC ports
- Prefer cross tube mounts but clevis will work.

Using a 28 gpm 2 stage pump it will have a cycle time of 6 sec.

I have asked for bids from a couple of hydraulic cylinder builders. I will pass on the info when I get back the quotes.

Back