More armchair milling for a while yet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Not having milled anything since May I was really looking forward to getting back to Oz in a couple of weeks time to take advantage of the remaining cool weather to get back to some milling. But today I mashed the tips of all 4 fingers on my left hand while closing a goods lift door at work. 6 fractures (black lines), two tendon detachments (T) and two spots where the mashed bones broke skin (S and 2S). The 2 fingers with the detached tendons have to be in splints for 6 weeks.

This pic was taken just a minutes afterwards and while it doesn't look that bad - the fingers have now swollen up like hotdogs and boy do they throb right, even though the docs have put me on some serious pain killers.
attachment.php

Ouch-yeah the vibration from milling would be intolerable right now, but they'll feel much better in a few weeks.

Last edited:
yeah, this morning my whole hand is throbbing pretty badly and I can't bear the damaged fingers touching anything. One real bummer is this morning I'm supposed to clear out of my apartment as my lease runs out!

At least I can still type :)

Bob, sorry to hear of your injury, while I am of little help in the milling section, I am good in the pain dept. Talk to your doctor and see if he has a formula for a topical pain reliever, on crush injuries like yours they work better than the "goofy pills" like loritab and oxy's. If you have no luck, see if there is a Pharmacy that does compounding near you and pay them a visit. Your hand and liver will thank you.

Cheers guys. Being far away from family is awkward at time like these.

Thanks for the pain tip Walt. One thing I have found that seems to help are those cold packs - they seem to provide more relief than the pills.

Cheers guys. Being far away from family is awkward at time like these.

Thanks for the pain tip Walt. One thing I have found that seems to help are those cold packs - they seem to provide more relief than the pills.

Sounds like the swelling is a major part of the pain, hope you can get fixed up, let me know if you strike out on the topical, I can get a basic formula for you from the doc here on Monday.

I really feel for you Bob, finger injuries like that hurt like h@ll, especially since you want to use them all the time.

I nicked one finger today on a freshly sharpened chain and it bothered me all day long preparing some saws for a GTG.

all the best to ya !:cheers:

thoes fingers look perty bad. the worst bout that is having to sit and design a new mill . cause you can't do any thing else, well you can but its gonna hurt when you bump it. I was thinking bout you today ,splitting a 40 " oak down the middle so we could move it ,heavy sob . We I tried to free hand it and missed left a slever 2 in thick ,we had a 5 gal bucket of wedges pounded in all round a piece bout 12' long When a though struck me that a mill like yours wouldn't have missed , was bout 100 today.

Bob, sorry to hear of your injury, while I am of little help in the milling section, I am good in the pain dept. Talk to your doctor and see if he has a formula for a topical pain reliever, on crush injuries like yours they work better than the "goofy pills" like loritab and oxy's. If you have no luck, see if there is a Pharmacy that does compounding near you and pay them a visit. Your hand and liver will thank you.

after talking to a couple diff docs, after some trouble i was having--what you said aint no joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you can destroy your kidneys and liver in damn short order!!!!! bit smarter now, and i didnt know!!!

Bob! WTF Man!! I thought we had a discussion about fingertip injuries and safety last weekend while you were here! :chainsaw:

Hope you heal up quickly. Ask a doc about getting a prescription for Keterolac. It's an anti-inflammatory, like Ibuprofen but MUCH stronger. You can only take it for a week or two or it'll eat your stomach up, but I found that strong painkillers like Codeine and Oxy didn't do much at all when I trimmed the ends off my fingers back a while (thought the morphine pills could make me forget all about any pain I might have been feeling!). The anti-inflammatories are where it's at.

Back