Homeowner falls off ladder (graphic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God of ArboristSite
Reaction score
Homeowner falls off ladder (graphic)

from another forum
-----------------------------------
This past spring, April 1st 2010, I went up a ladder to trim a dead/dieing branch off a large oak in our front yard. Branch was about 15ft high, putting my feet about 10ft off the ground when I climbed the ladder.
Not sure just what, but something went wrong and the next thing I knew I was landing on the ground which was just the beginning of a long journey that has not ended yet. When the first hospital takes xrays and says "we don't fix that here" you know it's gonna be a long day.

I went back to work Aug 30th, I'm getting to the point where I can walk pretty decent and can make it through a day of work without relying on an electric cart to get around.
I will probably have pain for most of the rest of my life, and at some point will likely end up with a premature knee replacement. I can tell you exactly what trimming that branch cost, including $1250 out of pocket deductible, and 5 months off work.

Here's some pics:
http://www.tdkmotorsports.com/oops/oops.html

----------------------------------
My Busted Leg

4-1-2010

Did a stupid and fell off a ladder while trimming a tree.

Rode the ambulance to the first hospital, who promptly took a look at my x-ray and said “Nope, we’re not fixing that, you need to go to the University”

Another ambulance ride landed me at the University of Iowa Hospitals in Iowa City Iowa.

Oops%20003%20(Medium).jpg

Because my leg swelled like a balloon this “external fixator” was installed to hold my leg in place until the swelling went down.

2 screws directly into my femur bone about 2/3 of the way up my thigh, 3 more into my Tibula(shin bone) just above my ankle.

This remained in place for 3 weeks before my surgery to permanently repair the damage.

This “fixator” cost approx. $6000 installed.

Oops%20007%20(Medium).jpg

A few days after returning home. Yes, my leg is huge. No, the bruise did not hurt as bad as it looked.

CT scan of my left knee

Oops%20017.jpg

Another view, this would be looking from the front.

From the left side

From the back.

X-ray from the right side the day of the injury.

After surgery, 3 plates, approx. 15 screws, 89 staples.

More X-rays.

Oops10.jpg

89 staples which stayed in for 2 weeks. Believe it or not I barely felt most of them come out.

The scars are gonna be cool.

http://www.tdkmotorsports.com/oops/oops.html

Last edited:
Wrong forum!

That looks real unpleasant.

I had a similar injury once, but that was on the ankle end of the tibia. The fibula is the other (smaller) bone in your lower leg. The bones should heal real nicely, but I'll bet you really disrupted the cartilage and knee joint. Take heart! Knee replacements work pretty well, ankle replacements pretty much aren't worth considering.

While I am sure that some homeowners will be indirectly helped into calling a professional as a result of reading this post, this really belongs in the "Arboricultural injuries" forum. It certainly qualifies for a position with honorable mention, given all the nice details and excellent photos.

Ouch! I hate ladders, my hats off to roofers that go up and down them all day long. Broke my leg a few years ago, but not that bad. Take care and hope it gets better.

Stuck this in home owners forum vs fatalities/injuries thinking more likely homeowner would see this graphic warning.

thank goodness it's not me...

I'll only use ladders to enter a tree, then will rope in with full climbing gear. other exception is an A frame ladder ... which is safe with a pole saw.

homeowners can do a LOT safely with a Jamison Pole saw with 3 sections. about $140 at Baileys. that's 19ft + another 8-10 ft with a solid A frame like little giant.

that gets up 30+ ft ... any higher up hire a Pro

yes... below picture is real

MKE%20falling%20limb%202.jpg

Wow, that is some serious accident...wish you a speedy recovery !

Last edited:
from another forum.... this is not me

-------------------------

First of all, I've always considered myself to be pretty competent on a ladder. I've done everything imagineable on a ladder for my entire life, including tree trimming. Never fell off of a ladder ever before. Always been cautious with heights, but never really scared as long as I had a solid footing to stand on.

I spent all last winter studying the branch in question, thought I had a really good idea of how it was gonna fall, and which way it was gonna turn as it fell.
All the weight was on what would have been the back side, so as it fell it SHOULD have gone away from me. Plan was to cut it only to the point where it sagged to the ground, and then start cutting from the ground.
Everything happened too fast to know for sure what happened, however it appears that the branch was a bit more rotten than I thought. Rather than sagging and resting the far end on the ground it started to sag and then simply broke off, at which point it rolled toward me rather than away, and apparently ended up between me an the ladder as evidenced by the light abrasion on my belly presumably caused by the tree branch.

I first realized things were going to hell when I felt the chainsaw being pushed towards me. First order of business was to jetison the saw as far away as possible, which I did, and then things get pretty blurry.
My next coherent realization was as I rolled to a stop on the ground I could feel my leg flopping in an unnatural motion, immediately knowing it was broken before I even felt pain. I never even tried moving it, just laid back in the grass and told the wife to call the ambulance, I could feel the pressure building already.

BTW, the chainsaw landed on the ground as was still happily idling after everything came to a stop. My wife was in such a tiz that she couldn't see the off switch, she had to bring me the saw so I could shut it off.

Out of pocket, $1250 cash insurance deductible.

5 months, 21 weeks, off work.
Fortunately I had disability insurance which paid 66-2/3%, but take-home I was still short approx. $250/week x 21 weeks = $5250

$6500 so far

Approx. 1 week lost income for the wife
Numerous 120mile round trips to the hospital and later the orthopedist
Good sized stack of receipts for prescription drugs, wound dressings and supplies etc.
1 pair of near new blue jeans
1 pair underwear that disappeared during my first surgery
Scads of pain, suffering and inconvenience for me and my entire family

Insurance payments have exceeded $100,000, thank god for good insurance. $2500/yr seems pretty cheap right now.

I'm now 7 months into this, been back to work for 8 or 9 weeks, but I am still far from fully recovered. Every step is painful and may be to some extent for the rest of my life, only time will tell.

So far the only good thing that has come of it is that I quit smoking. Being stuck in the house for several weeks cured that.

Hire someone...............

from another forum.... this is not me

-------------------------

First of all, I've always considered myself to be pretty competent on a ladder. I've done everything imagineable on a ladder for my entire life, including tree trimming. Never fell off of a ladder ever before. Always been cautious with heights, but never really scared as long as I had a solid footing to stand on.

I spent all last winter studying the branch in question, thought I had a really good idea of how it was gonna fall, and which way it was gonna turn as it fell.
All the weight was on what would have been the back side, so as it fell it SHOULD have gone away from me. Plan was to cut it only to the point where it sagged to the ground, and then start cutting from the ground.
Everything happened too fast to know for sure what happened, however it appears that the branch was a bit more rotten than I thought. Rather than sagging and resting the far end on the ground it started to sag and then simply broke off, at which point it rolled toward me rather than away, and apparently ended up between me an the ladder as evidenced by the light abrasion on my belly presumably caused by the tree branch.

I first realized things were going to hell when I felt the chainsaw being pushed towards me. First order of business was to jetison the saw as far away as possible, which I did, and then things get pretty blurry.
My next coherent realization was as I rolled to a stop on the ground I could feel my leg flopping in an unnatural motion, immediately knowing it was broken before I even felt pain. I never even tried moving it, just laid back in the grass and told the wife to call the ambulance, I could feel the pressure building already.

BTW, the chainsaw landed on the ground as was still happily idling after everything came to a stop. My wife was in such a tiz that she couldn't see the off switch, she had to bring me the saw so I could shut it off.

Out of pocket, $1250 cash insurance deductible.

5 months, 21 weeks, off work.
Fortunately I had disability insurance which paid 66-2/3%, but take-home I was still short approx. $250/week x 21 weeks = $5250

$6500 so far

Approx. 1 week lost income for the wife
Numerous 120mile round trips to the hospital and later the orthopedist
Good sized stack of receipts for prescription drugs, wound dressings and supplies etc.
1 pair of near new blue jeans
1 pair underwear that disappeared during my first surgery
Scads of pain, suffering and inconvenience for me and my entire family

Insurance payments have exceeded $100,000, thank god for good insurance. $2500/yr seems pretty cheap right now.

I'm now 7 months into this, been back to work for 8 or 9 weeks, but I am still far from fully recovered. Every step is painful and may be to some extent for the rest of my life, only time will tell.

So far the only good thing that has come of it is that I quit smoking. Being stuck in the house for several weeks cured that.

Hire someone...............

Wow, quite the ordeal, at least he lived to tell about it. I try and tell clients that as well, pay now or pay later. Hope he heals up quickly!

Stuck this in home owners forum vs fatalities/injuries thinking more likely homeowner would see this graphic warning.

thank goodness it's not me...

I'll only use ladders to enter a tree, then will rope in with full climbing gear. other exception is an A frame ladder ... which is safe with a pole saw.

homeowners can do a LOT safely with a Jamison Pole saw with 3 sections. about $140 at Baileys. that's 19ft + another 8-10 ft with a solid A frame like little giant.

that gets up 30+ ft ... any higher up hire a Pro

yes... below picture is real

MKE%20falling%20limb%202.jpg

What happened to that dude that fell off that ladder? I sure hope he didn't fall on that saw!!!!! Were there any pics AFTER he fell?

Back