Lack of chainsaw maintainance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 088 was bogging at high speed so I cleaned the air filter, clean out the carb. reassembled tested and it still bogged. Pulled fuel filter from the tank and it looked ok. I tried to blow through it and it was so plugged with flower like sawdust I could not blow through it. Pulled it apart and this is what I found.
picture.php

Last edited:
I decided to clean out the fuel tank and was surprised by how much sediment was in it. Next I clean out the oil tank and found more sediment. I even found sediment in my main mixed fuel can.

Milling saws see way more fine dust than cross cutting saws as they make mostly chips not dust. The saws I maintain at work rarely see sediment problems like this.

Hope this helps save someone some grief.:cheers:

Thanks mtngun. Lets try the pic this way.

That's ugly! How many hours you figure on that filter?

I am not really sure but it is likely at least 90L of fuel base on how many 5L mix oils I have on through in the last year or so. On the saws we use at work I have never seen such sediment build up. But they don't mill and are always sharp so they throw chips.

I hope this helps..

I always carry a small paint brush to clean up around the fuel cap and oil cap before refilling...My Jred. seems to collect dust really bad the way the caps are designed..I sweep off,,and unscrew more to expose the o-ring and sweep it off before I take em off all the way...

When I'm not milling in the milling yard (where there is a big compressor in the shed) and I remember, I take a 20 lb BBQ gas bottle full of compressed air with me. I use this mainly to clean the air filter but also blow down sawdust from around the filler caps. It's really useful when you drop something in the sawdust and you want to clean it again.

And at the end of the day, whatever is left can be used for a quickly dusting of the mill and the saw before sticking it back in the vehicle.

Simple maintaince is often forgotten. Replaced the filter on one of my 460s couple weeks ago, and no more than I have ran it, it was due to be replaced.

I always carry a small paint brush to clean up around the fuel cap and oil cap before refilling...My Jred. seems to collect dust really bad the way the caps are designed..I sweep off,,and unscrew more to expose the o-ring and sweep it off before I take em off all the way...

That sound like a good idea I may have to try that.

Back