Breakaway safety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I call it a screaming gizmoh.
Yes Anzi says no personal safety gear should break less than 5000 lbs, but in my experience, I've needed something to break away in case the tree fails. This device would be used in limited cirumstances such as imment dead tree failure, hung up Booby traps, leaners etc. when you cut pressureized wood and cant read what the wood will do. Or the booby trap has to many load points to predict reactions of release

At MB's request I've contacted www.yatesgear.com
John Yates wrote there were a few options.
The guys name is John yates.
here's his phone number for your options on a break away safety.
1-800-yates-16

What instances would you want a breakaway safety?

I've used screamers on tops that were high load/poor wood structure and they work, I,m still here. They do reduce the force imparted to the rigging. I keep 2 in the suitase for 12.00 they are worth it.

For actual "breakaways" you can use shower curtain rings or similar pieces designed to actually crack off.

What do you want to break away, your flipline? In that case I did it once cut it with your saw, its works nicely. Assuming you are tied into another tree.

Ever think of not putting yourself in that situation? If you have to thing this way then maybe your doing something wrong. How would you feel if I took you flying and made you wear a parachute and showed you the easy pull pins for the door?

Oh I'm sorry I'll keep my shower curtain rings in the shower. I'm go see if my rings have an anzi stamp on it like Z133.yourf0ckedup!!

xtremetrees

i agree fully with a break away screamer lanyard.........but, i think you would need it to be break away on both ends. not just something you ad to your existing lanyard.

1) what if it broke away then the snap got hung up in a crotch.

2) what if it broke away and the snap swung around and slapped you in the head.

these are just 2 examples i'm sure there are more, yes there a little far fetched but if your trying to create a piece of safety gear all the bases should be coverd.

the simplest way to make it would be one fixed length with snaps on both ends and a break away section in the middle or at both ends. but, how do you make it adjustable in length and enable it to break away.

I used one last year on a punky dead white oak to be removed. The tree was not safe to tie into, but there was 2 taller trees adjacent on both sides of the tree. I installed a line between the 2 trees and hooked a traveling pulley onto the line from which to tie into. I made small loops out of throwline and put them between my side d's and lanyard connections on both ends. this allowed me to still lanyard into the dead tree for additional stability when needed, but should the tree of failed it would not have pulled me apart.
KF- one fear I had was if the tree failed, most likely only one end of the lanyard would of broke free and I envisioned the lanyard end whipping around the tree and taking out my teeth.

There most definatly is a time and place for a breakaway lanyard!!

BJ- I am suprised you have not ever had the need to use one, or even realize the potential to need one in a rare case.

NIckrosis- I would be afraid a shower curtain ring would break away before it needed to. They could be doubled, or tripled up to help prevent this though

Originally posted by tophopper
NIckrosis- I would be afraid a shower curtain ring would break away before it needed to. They could be doubled, or tripled up to help prevent this though
You don't want to use it for life-suppport, no, but it's useful for positioning.

2? From the research I've read, I believe two of the generic brand shower curtain rings are rated for 5,401#, but I'm quite certain you have to purchase them at certain stores....some are knock-offs of the generic brand.

good point mike, im glad you pointed that out nick, and I just replaced all my biners with a package of curtain rings;) :D

Originally posted by BigJohn
Ever think of not putting yourself in that situation? If you have to thing this way then maybe your doing something wrong. How would you feel if I took you flying and made you wear a parachute and showed you the easy pull pins for the door?
Its always bothered me when I'm on a plane and there is no parachute for me to usein an emergency. So if I went flying with you John and you were that thoughtful I would feel just fine.

Take bight of lanyard and lace RoundTurn D, to loop over thumb over 6" away is what i've snuck in on occasion.

Once a slipped anchor knot (from JP's suggestion to use on throwline) in bight of lanyard on D with saw in the snap; so that if i dropped saw anchor came undone.

Best not to be in such a situation; never had to trip either release; so can't say much directly about that.

Last edited:
As I said don't put yourself in that situation. Here's a little idea I'll share with you. It may have been said here before but I'll mention it again. What about a cam that you put in rock crevaces. Just a little one. You make a small slice in the wood doesn't need to be deep. Insert the cam and clip into it. I'm sure it would pull out under such a load. Just an idea. Some people do us it in situations on a large tree removal where its hard to get adjusted and have it pull and keep you in desired spot.

Latest posts

Back