Full wrap handles?? Air filters??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLOBOTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It seems like the extra gripping area would be nice, but would be in the way sometimes too, like if cutting stumps flush with the ground.
What do ya'll think?
Also, which air filter is better to have the low profile fabric type, or the big paper element type?

Most everyone here knows my love of full wrap handlebars. I started a thread about my new one on my 361 recently. Do a search for "full wrap" and see what you come up with. Alot of guys don't like them for flush cutting stumps, but I've never had a problem, but then again, I work mostly in timber/logging applications when stump height isn't as important as in someone's yard. They come into their own on uneven terrain in timber situations. That's all anybody uses out here. I don't own a saw with out a full wrap.

Jeff

If you do a fair amount of falling. Gotta have a full wrap.
I've only met one faller that didn't.
The reason is that you have to be ambidextrous enough to make all your cuts from one side to avoid hazards etc. The full wrap allows that versatility.

smokechase II said:
The reason is that you have to be ambidextrous enough to make all your cuts from one side to avoid hazards etc. The full wrap allows that versatility.

THANK YOU!!! Someone who agrees with me about full wraps!!! :blob2:

Jeff

smokechase II said:

Exactly, but unless you are falling on steep or broken ground you usually don't encounter the situations where the wrap handle is such an advantage, so you never know the value of it.

Where you can work a tree from both sides on flat ground, the very slightly lower stump height possible with a half wrap seems like a bigger advantage than the ambidextrous grip that a wrap allows.

I've run saws with both half and wrap handles, and vastly prefer the wrap unless I am only bucking and can stay on the left side of the saw. For falling, bring on the wrap handle.

The only full wrap i ever seen here was on a old Homelit 5-20.
No saws sold new here has it.

I want one for the Jonsered 910 though....

I would like to have the full wrap, we need all the handles we can get sometimes.
But I really need to flush cut most of my stumps so I will end up with the halfer.
Thanks all
I like the low profile filter better too.

Pretty hard to fall & buck without a full wrap handle, this has come up before here. Half wrap is good for spacing and weekend warrior firewood cutters but for production and safety forget them.

I really like the full wrap myself, just easier when you're cutting the tree down. if you stand in one place, and cut the notch, then just use the other side of the handle, and make your back cut, you've saved a few seconds in the cutting process, which after awhile, really racks up, and becomes minutes, which eventually become hours, and you've saved a lot of time cutting by not going from one side to the otehr of the tree jsut to bring it down.

Not playing with a full wrap?

I think you need to look at where your felling cuts are made. Waist high, like on the west coast and you will want full wrap. I am so short that I was usually cutting at shoulder hight or higher. If you are falling where you can make a low stump like most other places you will want a half wrap. You dont always switch sides when you are making a felling cut. You have to change your cutting methods.

I know most west coasters poke fun at flatlanders with short bars and half wrap handelbars(been there and done that) but it is just a different situation which requires different equip. and dif. tecniques.

Even an experienced faller will feel like a fish out of water if he tries to use the wrong equipment and tecniques in the wrong place.

John

Full Wrap for a Husky 359?

Just got a Husky 359 and it works great. If its ok to insert this question in your thread, I'd like to know if a full wrap is available for this model. I could see a need for it as I was climbing around on a big pile of downed logs, turning them into firewood. There were situations when it would've been safer to have a wrap. The box store I got this from couldn't tell me if a full wrap was available. Does anyone here know?

Thanks
Noah

Yes, come on in Noah.
All this good info just makes me want one of each.

It sure does, Woodsman.

That would make for some good versatility!

I like full wrap handle bars for cutting on steep ground and in pine as it allows you more options. In the pine I like it for limbing reasons because I have a habit of fliping the saw really quick and it gives me more options there again.

Noah said:
Just got a Husky 359 and it works great. If its ok to insert this question in your thread, I'd like to know if a full wrap is available for this model. I could see a need for it as I was climbing around on a big pile of downed logs, turning them into firewood. There were situations when it would've been safer to have a wrap. The box store I got this from couldn't tell me if a full wrap was available. Does anyone here know?

Thanks
Noah

I don't know of anyone making one. I know fishhuntcutwood has one on a Stihl MS 361, not sure of the make. If USA handlebars doesn't make one, then likely you are in for a search to find one. Normally they don't make them for saws that small, as full wraps are primarily a West Coast preference for falling, and for that, the saws use start at 70cc+. Out here, a 359 would be used for spacing, where a half wrap is preferred, or for firewood where most guys using a 359 are homeowner types.

Most guys if they want a full wrap handle on the saw, they generally want the bigger motor too, although it would be nice if they had options for smaller models with full wraps too. Or at least a decent aftermarket selection for those who want to change out the factory half wrap.

I like full wraps for falling and limbing. starting a humbolt in a big tree is a huge pain in the ass unless you have a wrap handle and some good falling spikes. Try even making the most basic movements with somthing like a 2100 with a 42 inch bar and you will quickly realize that the more you have to hold on to, the better. As for cutting stumps, fallers dont have to worry about getting that close to the ground.

Latest posts

Back