Sawchain Material Alloys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt Galer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy,

There have been several questions about materials that are used to make sawchain. Following is a table:

Normal Chain Stock-----OSC-1-----Carbon Steel----- -Cr.-(Chrome)-.50------.25----------.01----------- -Ni.-(Nickle)-.71------.30----------.01------------Si.-(Silicon).31------.30----------.27------------Mo.-(Moly.)--.15------.10----------.01(orless)----Mn.-(Mang.)--.45------.40----------.80------------C.--(Carbon)-.60------.65----------.55-----------

See US Pat. 5,772,957 for details on Oregon's OSC-1 (You can get it off the internet US Pat. Office, then Utility Patent by number). It claims that Nobium can be substituted for Chrome.

The above amounts are nominal numbers. Stihl commonly adds a trace of Vanadium.

There seems to be no way that this format will allow my draft to come out as three columns under those headings, so you will just have to figure it out!

You will note that there has been a progressive reduction in the Chrome and Nickle. This makes the material cheaper, and faster to blank and the dies to last longer. There is also a certain savings in heat treat. The purpose of chrome is to resist wear and improve staysharp. The nickle is to boost cold weather resistance, especially notch toughness (resisting growth of a thermal fatique crack).

Regards,
Walt Galer

Howdy again,

Sorry, the system seems to have a bug preventing columns, and then it went into revolt! I suspect a dormant soft return problem like Word Perfect used to have. Lets see what the moderator says, and mabe try it again later.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Howdy,

Kevin: No link yet.

Fish: dammed if I know! Haven't researched this one yet. Must be cheaper than Chrome.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Howdy Fish,

I see I have a typo there. That should be Niobium which is a known metallurgical alloying element, but I have no Idea exactly what it does. The funtion of the chrome in alloys is to give a very wear resistant carbide in the microstructure. This is supposed to replace that, according to Oregon's patent. I've not studied it myself.

I have a very quesy feeling about the claims in this patent, as the difference in tensile strength of laboritory test specimens claimed, could be simply due to the slightly higher carbon content present in the austempered structure of the prepared test specimens. If true, there is a good chance the whole thing could be pure B.S.- plus there is the problem that lab samples prepared for metallurgical tests, do not bare much resemblance to a used piece of sawchain! (What about resistance to frictional formed transformations)?

The more I look at this, the curiouser it gets!

Regards,
Walt Galer

Well at least that shows up in my college chemistry books.
It says some of its alloys are superconductive! Maglev
sawchain? Frictionless chain? I doubt it, but hey, we can
dream.

I may be wrong but I think it is mixed into HARD metals/alloys to make them somewhat less brittle...and shatter resistant...hmmm...I think :confused:

I am sure I have seen this element on a msds lable concerning various cutters concerning machining....hmmmmmm, I wonder how that stuff files up :rolleyes:

Oh yeah fish, I already have built the maglev hotsaw :D

Howdy John Thacket,

Thank you much for that on Niobium. I know nothing of this alloying element, except what I read in the Oregon patent that it is claimed to be a substitute for chrome.

The purpose of chrome in sawchain material, is to form a very durable carbide in the microstructure that resists wear. In the raw material state, it is a problem because even when tied up in the annealed steel, the stuff causes errosion of the blanking and forming dies. These operations can be done at very high speed, if you can get rid of the chrome. I see by your submittion, that Niobium should solve this raw material problem.

My remaining question is what happens in the Austempered state? Does this stuff form a carbide in the as-heattreated state? And, how durable and stable of a carbide? Metallurgically, how does it increase impact resistance in cutting tool alloys?

If anyone has any reference material toward these questions, I would appreciate any help!

Regards,
Walt Galer

Howdy Thacket,

Thank you very much. That is a great source of information on this. I printed the chapter and will contact them for more specifics on Austempering what basically is now considered an HSLA steel. (Close to the stuff they make car bodies out of in Europe? Ever wonder why European vehicles resist parkinglot dents better than US made cars?)

Thx. again,
Walt Galer

they probably dont resist dents any better - they are just better drivers and have more situational awareness with the doors etc than the average joe at the walmart parking lot:eek: -lol

Wal-mart and Arkansas go well together though. Lowes is
our new Husky dealer here though. Just kidding Tundralux,
no offense really.
Fishvarna

none taken - youre quite right! they do go together well. this lowes thing will help the tremendous lines of ex-stihl owners at the husky store buying real pro saws:D it'll keep the consumers at lowes and sears - lol (just kidding:angel: )

Latest posts

Back