Excellent book for identifying trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
If you don't have it already, may I suggest an excellent book for identifying trees-"National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees". It shows terrific pictures of the bark, leaves, flowers, nuts, fruits, etc. and also gives a little history on the different trees and tree families. I think that you'd get a lot of use from it. Just wanted to pass this on.

THanks, I have been looking for a good ID book. Does it give differant pics for the same trees, such as bark, leaves etc?

Did you get yours local or off the internet? Thanks

THanks, I have been looking for a good ID book. Does it give differant pics for the same trees, such as bark, leaves etc?

Did you get yours local or off the internet? Thanks

It shows a picture of the bark of just about any tree you can think of, and right next to that there's a picture of the live (green) leaves. There's only one picture of the bark for each tree, but it's most likely all that you'll need-I can't translate in words how CLEAR and wonderful these pictures are! Then it shows pictures of flowers, pictures of cones for Pines, pictures of nuts, berries, fruit. Pictures of leaves in Autumn. Then descriptions of all of the trees with tons of facts. I got mine at a local store here in Pennsylvania (Waldenbooks); I'm sure that one of your local bookstores would have it. It costs about $20 and worth every penny of it!

You're welcome.

Thanks for the info. Will check it out, and the price sounds right.

Thanks
-Steve

You'll really enjoy it. And it's a small-sized handbook that's easy to take along with you if you want to ID some live trees in the woods or whatever reason. 688 pages of information in a book that measures 4" x 7 1/2" x 1" ! :)

Thanks.

I had been meaning to start a thread on good books for identifying trees, and this seems like a great book.

I found a used one in excellent condition for $7 shipped. :)

Thanks.

I had been meaning to start a thread on good books for identifying trees, and this seems like a great book.

I found a used one in excellent condition for $7 shipped. :)

In NM, there's a great book titled "Trees and Shrubs of New Mexico", by Jack Carter. I have been using it with great success. It uses a dichotomous key, which takes some getting used to, but ends up being superior to any other id method.

The Audobon book is great! It comes in two versions Eastern and Western trees. Great pics, descriptions, and easy to use format.

I would think they would have it in their stores too.

Yes, it's an excellent reference, small enough to be easily carried into the field, well organized, and does a very effective job with both pics and text descriptions of trees, their habitat, etc. My kids got me the Eastern trees edition for Christmas, and it came from the local Barnes & Noble.

Yup, I got the Audobon one too. First tree ID guide I got and still regularly use it for the info. it gives along with identification. I recently got William Harlow's Trees of the Eastern and Central United States and Canada guide. It also uses a dichotomous key, which I think is especially good for beginners. It takes you step by step in identifying using leaves, bark, twigs, fruit, cones, etc. Nice if you have no idea where to start. Pictures aren't as pretty as the Audobon's, but none the less useful (probably even more so). If you have a Borders or anything like that around you, they should have it in stock, or at least be able to order it.

A gift from my wife last April. Great book.
Identifies bark, leaves during growing season, fall leaves,fruit, nuts, & berries.
Wonderful resource.

Yup, I got the Audobon one too. First tree ID guide I got and still regularly use it for the info. it gives along with identification. I recently got William Harlow's Trees of the Eastern and Central United States and Canada guide. It also uses a dichotomous key, which I think is especially good for beginners. It takes you step by step in identifying using leaves, bark, twigs, fruit, cones, etc. Nice if you have no idea where to start. Pictures aren't as pretty as the Audobon's, but none the less useful (probably even more so). If you have a Borders or anything like that around you, they should have it in stock, or at least be able to order it.

I just ordered the Harlow book. I found a new copy on Amazon for $8 shipped! :cheers:

I just received both the National Audubon & Harlow books.

Both are excellent, and I really like the colored photo section of the National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees.

Thanks again for the thread and info.

Had mine for 5yrs now, wouldn't be without it. Have received other tree ID books as gifts but they all have dust on them.

Im bidding on this very book on Scambay right now thanks to the advice of you guys here on AS. I hope I am not bidding against any of you...:laugh:

Just picked up a copy of the National Audubon Society.......Eastern. Choose it beacause of the feedback here. It is a great book. Thanks to those who posted.

Back