Muffler Mod, had to get inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarleyScooter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I did a mod to a Husky 350 muffler it was easy there was nothing inside, so I thought I would do the little Poulan. The muffler was full of junk inside, I ground the baffle plate in half and twisted it until it came out of the muffler inlet because I did not want to split the muffler. Well it came out, but everything else inside now rattled around so I had to split it anyway. I found out that uncrimpnig the seam was not to easy to do, what I found to work really good was to heat the crimp with a bernz-o-matic torch and then I was able to unfold the crimp with a small screwdriver, this did very little damage to the muffler. Here is a picture of the junk that came out.

Now to get the exhaust out. the outlet only had two small slits, so I added four holes and opened up the slits which incresed the outlet by at least double. All this was done so it was still covered by the screen. This is what it looked like.

To finish it I opened up the stock outlet cover opening and added two more holes. All the exhaust still goes through the screen and it looks stock except for the two extra holes in the cover.

No I have to go out to the barn and get some gas for it, I have been storing them empty. I did open the high speed screw about 1/3 of a turn incase I forget? I have a friends saw apart now he smoked the clutch on it last summer so I think I will mod his muffler while I'm waiting on parts for it.

I just started modifying my 3314. Since I don't feel like taking it back to Lowes, I figure I will use it for limbs and small trees. I gutted my muffler a little while ago and can't wait to get it back in one piece and on the saw. I am interseted to see how much performance i get out of it and how much louder it is going to be. i did notice that my muffler did not have that round piece that your's did.

Motorboy I don't know whats up with the round screened piece, I bought the saw less than a year ago so maybe yours is a newer version. I did read your post about the starter cord not retracting, mine did the same thing. I took the starter cover assy off took out the screw that holds the rope pulley in, added some thin oil to where it spins (I just rocked the pulley on the shaft, you don't want the spring to come loose) and then I did not tighten the screw as tight as it was, this seems to let it work like it should.

gutted muffler

hi, i gutted the muffler on my poulan 2250,took out baffle and screen.should i still drill some holes or should taking out the baffle be enough?i put the muffler back on and richened it up and seems snappier and of course louder,so would holes make more diffrence?

I wondered what was in those new mufflers on them newer poulans. Thanks for sharing with us.

hi, i gutted the muffler on my poulan 2250,took out baffle and screen.should i still drill some holes or should taking out the baffle be enough?i put the muffler back on and richened it up and seems snappier and of course louder,so would holes make more diffrence?

Enjoys cutting , if you look at the back of the muffler you'll see the two small outlet louvres . It will help if you pry them open to allow more exhaust flow . Remember to adjust the carb richer .

Fumbler, I used a Dremel cut off wheel to remove the outlet hood, there was just a small hole under the screen. I ground the opening to just smaller than the screen and mig welded the hood back on and reinstalled the screen. It seems stronger after adjusting the carb. I like the tubes some of the guy's put on their mufflers so I might try that next.

Latest posts

Back