carlton chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy the 3/8 chisel and like it. I don't notice a significant difference in quality between it and Oregon, and can get it slightly cheaper.

Carlton also catalogs an "S" chain, which is basically the old chipper chain. If you are forced into cutting dry, dead wood under dusty, dirty conditions, this chain beats anything Oregon has commonly available.

Nothing works really well for that though, except maybe carbide chain. One look at the price tag of carbide will stop you in your tracks, though.

Carlton also catalogs an "S" chain, which is basically the old chipper chain. If you are forced into cutting dry, dead wood under dusty, dirty conditions, this chain beats anything Oregon has commonly available.
I have had the same luck with the s chain. As good or better than RM and alot cheaper.

I like Carlton chain. They used to make a big deal about the fact that it was assembled with EP lubricant on the rivets. It didn't/doesn't have much 'first-use stretch' but most of the other makers are doing similar things now. Actually, I'm not sure that there are many makers. I think that Oregon owns just about everybody except Carlton and Stihl.

Carlton has very good quality chain. Their best selling point is those file-o plate guides. You just have to be very careful about what file-o-plate fits what, some distributors will try to pawn some old stock on you that does not exactly work with the newer chain. I got a package of 1984 plates that fall into that catagory.

bwalker

U still around ?? Where in the he!! do u get your Carlton S chain.. I have been trying but can't find.. Most don't even think I am giving the right series info when asking about it... I finally found someone who talks my language when I ask about a "series" of chains - be it Stihl, Carlton or Oregon!!! and this person happens to be wonderful "on the phone" woman in Canada... Yes I had to call the mountains in Canada 2 find a outfit that knew "anything" about chain!! The first words out of her mouth where "I well need to see when and if they have any and whats the deal with the next prodution run! "
etc, etc... X chain is "usually" run X times a yr... what do u need... I can try to get some.... etc.. etcc...

Not this ask a question - wait 5 mins on the phone because the "tech" has "never" heard of the chain.. Heck - I know there are a lot of diff guages, link #, etc.. But there ARN'T that many diff series types. A 2 or 3 page info by Stihl, 2 Page info by Oregan, same for Carlton and you have the major types covered.. and if the tech stops when you say "chipper" chain then ????
I have only been looking at chain for less then a week??

I have a lot of WoodlandPRO chain from Bailey's. It is my understanding that it is made by Carlton. It is good chain - no complaints.

+1 for the File-O-Plate. Funky name, cool product. Great filing tool. Does a great job at helping me do a good job.

JQ

Strange you are having trouble finding it, as the Carlton 'S' chipper chain is readily available here in Australia, probably as most timber cut here is bloody hard and dirty.

I've been giving Carlton semi chisel 3/8" a hiding in dirty Aussie hardwood and can confidently say it gives the equivalent Oregon chain a comprehensive flogging as far as staying sharp for longer. Can get Carlton cheaper here at the moment too, however importers have spoken of a 40-50% price rise January '09. Many dealers have stocked up and the more popular styles of Carlton are basically unavailable until new, more expensive stock arrives.

Blount owns Oregon and Windsor and just bought Carlton last spring.

Some of Woodland pro chain from Baileys is made by Carlton and I use and like it. Haven't noticed a difference since the buyout. I use the 3/8 chisel in both .50 & .58 (A1 or A2 stamped on the drive links)

I've been giving Carlton semi chisel 3/8" a hiding in dirty Aussie hardwood and can confidently say it gives the equivalent Oregon chain a comprehensive flogging as far as staying sharp for longer. Can get Carlton cheaper here at the moment too, however importers have spoken of a 40-50% price rise January '09. Many dealers have stocked up and the more popular styles of Carlton are basically unavailable until new, more expensive stock arrives.

+1 on staying sharper than Oregon (IMHO)

I'm running Carlton .325 "C" semi-chisel on my Shin 488. Compared to Oregon's 3/8" 72DP it files harder but stayes sharper longer.
I'm lucky in that I have a local Carlton distributor that sells over the counter.

Back