Magnum Muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is an old cull I brought back to life. This is the original Magnum muffler off a 046...for those of you who have actually worked on your saws, you will notice the differences compared to the new MS460 mufflers.

Josh

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

yup, that is an old one for sure, look at the back outlet....the newer ones are TINNNNNNNNY!

Simple, but effective. Got a couple that look the same.

What paint did you end up using Josh?

lol

Yes.

Going on this saw for work in the woods.

attachment.php

Saw aint' gonna run like that....lol. Lmao! Good job on the muffler, my dealer has one just like it but he wants $60 for the whole muffler. He won't sell me just the cover.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

yup, that is an old one for sure, look at the back outlet....the newer ones are TINNNNNNNNY!

Simple, but effective. Got a couple that look the same.

What paint did you end up using Josh?

I tried the Krylon - only $4. Preheated the muffler, applied the paint, then baked it around 400* - we'll see how it holds up. Thought about the POR15, but was too impatient to wait until Monday for the autobody supply store to order it...instant gratification :)

Did they ever?.......mine has one.

couple did, couple did not. They all end up the same. The newest 440 I have is about an 03 model it has no deflector, but a 5/16 or maybe 3/8 outlet hole. Needless to say, it ran a touch better opened up.

Most of the newer 046's/460's had the deflector box, as well as the later 066's and 660's. Not too sure about the 440's.

None of the older 044, 046 or 066 had them. Not quite sure when they started putting them in, but it was about the same time as the small holes.

Last edited:
couple did, couple did not. They all end up the same. The newest 440 I have is about an 03 model it has no deflector, but a 5/16 or maybe 3/8 outlet hole. Needless to say, it ran a touch better opened up.

Most of the 046's/460's had the deflector box, as well as the later 066's and 660's. Not too sure about the 440's.

I don't think my 440 has one, 460 has deflector ramp thing,
066 has a box on mine.

since we are talking about 044/440 046 460 mufflers, riddle me this.

Will a 046/460 muffler fit on an 044/440.

If you say yes, how do you know

If you say no, how do you know?

Cause I read it here on A/S so it has to be true! HAHAHAHAHA :monkey:

No riddle.........Mediacat says no.........but covers will fit, says me.

Last edited:
The covers do interchange.

The 460/046 has a bigger outlet scoop and will not clear the smaller 044/440 chain brake handle. The muffler part is longer and would require spacers in between the bolts and the muffler on the bottom that go into the case.

The 044/440 muffler will not fit on the 460/046 case because the muffler back is shorter. (460 case is longer) It would require a spacer of some sort between the cylinder/muffler mating surface to make it work.

The spikes are also differant between the 440/460. The outer 046/460 spike is longer so that the spikes line up.

Last edited:
The covers do interchange.

The 460/046 has a bigger outlet scoop and will not clear the smaller 044/440 chain brake handle. The muffler part is longer and would require spacers in between the bolts and the muffler on the bottom that go into the case.

The 044/440 muffler will not fit on the 460/046 case because the muffler back is shorter. (460 case is longer) It would require a spacer of some sort between the cylinder/muffler mating surface to make it work.

The spikes are also differant between the 440/460. The 440 inner spike is a little longer (because the case is shorter) than the 046 spike so that the inner and outer spike line up.

Thanks for the info. :clap: :clap:

Back