Improving Husqvarna 261 Performance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSJchester

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 6-year old, lightly used 261 has just never really impressed me. I've read here that it's sort of a de-tuned 262XP and that it's got potential to perform better. I'm down-sizing from 20" to 18" bar but I'm also intrigued by the thought of boosting its output at the same time.

Are there any relatively simple/inexpensive modifications I might consider? Anything one could undertake at home (as opposed to sending if off somewhere). I'm not a mechanic, tuner or fabricator but I can and do take things apart and get them back together again.

Thanks. -WSJ

My 6-year old, lightly used 261 has just never really impressed me. I've read here that it's sort of a de-tuned 262XP and that it's got potential to perform better. I'm down-sizing from 20" to 18" bar but I'm also intrigued by the thought of boosting its output at the same time.

Are there any relatively simple/inexpensive modifications I might consider? Anything one could undertake at home (as opposed to sending if off somewhere). I'm not a mechanic, tuner or fabricator but I can and do take things apart and get them back together again.

Thanks. -WSJ

I up'd the performance of the 261 I have by installing the 262 piston to get ride of the dished piston....Also muff modded it and.......

You could run a smaller spocket and a semi-skip chain. That's all easy to do.
I've never ran a 262, but I have a 261. I've hear the 262xp has the same low end grunt as the 372xp (don't know if this is true). And that the 262 makes .8 more hp than the 261.
I plan to convert my over someday, but I like the big saws, so I'm in no hurry.

attachment.php

the piston on the right is the dished 261...........262 is a flat top kinda like piston on the left...

Yep, a 261 was a saw that was born to be modded. Just the piston and a muffler mod will be the difference between night and day. You can go further with porting but you might want to run it that way first and see if you need to.

Thanks all for the insight and suggestions, especially 04ultra's photos and Banshee's link to the earlier fix-your-261 post.

Based on what I'm seeing, I ought to think about a 262 piston and clutch, and either a muffler or a modification to the existing muffler. I think I'll keep the 261 sticker.:)

Do they sell a top end kit for chainsaws (piston, rings, wrist pin, gaskets, etc.) like they do for bikes? Will the 261 rings fit the 262 piston? I assume they should if they're not damaged.

Anyone have any photos of a 262 or modified 261 muffler?

I ran the saw yesterday evening cutting up a few 14-20" black locusts that came down during a July storm. These are not difficult to cut but the 261 was bogging badly witih the bar fully engaged, just when it ought to start to make some real progress. I tinkered with the high mixture a bit and got no improvement and then set it aside for the new 372XP (also a 20"). What an amazing difference. On the other hand, my old 16" 50 probably runs and cuts better than the 261 right now. It just keeps pulling while 261 bogs itself down. There really should be no comparison.

Onward and upward (and more $$ too, by the looks of it). -WSJ

OK, jsut answered one of my own questions: of course there are piston/ring kits. I just went to Bailey's and viola.

Next question: Should I even consider aftermarket parts or stick with Husqvarna?

Before you going into converting it over you should really try a smaller sprocket and/or semi or full skip chain. It will help to keep your saw in it's working rpm's when the bar is buried. The sproket by itself should help. Worth a try for 10-15 dollars.

attachment.php

the piston on the right is the dished 261...........262 is a flat top kinda like piston on the left...

Yes, I believe they had a lot of parts to use up, when the 371 series were taking over, so they made a cheap downrated (and demoted) version of the old saws....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back