372s are BULLETPROOF

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My 372xp earned its nickname today.

I went out to the woodpile for some cutting and while stacking what I'd cut, I saw a log with a shiny spot. I looked closer and saw a bullet that someone had shot and lodged in the tree and then grown around it. What are the odds that Id've hit that EXACT spot to find it. Weird...

bullet2.jpg

Bullet in the log.

bullet3.jpg

Bullet after fishing it out.

cuttingteam2.jpg

Today's cutting team. "Uncle PITA" Mac 2-10, "Bulletproof" 372xp with "Inlaws & Outlaws" 141 in the middle.

Didn't perceptably dull the chain any, so I kept on going and filed things this evening when I was through and cleaning the saws up for the day...

AOD, you're right. The Mac was a fleabay special and until I can get the carb set right and the oiler working the way I feel it should, it's stuck with the "Uncle PITA" moniker... I hope to change that later in the week.

Not what I was expecting to read.
Send it to me and I will expand upon the bullet proof testing and get back with you. With pictures of course.

You shouldn't be trespassing on that mans land and cutting his trees and he won't be shooting at you like that. :eek:

Good thing for you he's a piss poor shot huh. :laugh:

. :biggrinbounce2:
:cheers:

I've hit them before also. Apparently it's big fun for many folks to hang something in a tree and blast away, especially near a road.

As others have said, the soft lead is no big deal for good saw chain. There are a lot worse things to hit.

I kind of like to play CSI if I find one. :) Try to figure out where the shooter was standing, what type of firearm, that sort of thing

I recently bought a used 488 and was running it for the first time on some yard maple. (hard maple from someone yard) I must have hit something because when I went to file the chain I found 4 cutters were missing! Totally gone! I never even noticed it, the 488 never even hiccupped.

I'm gonna play CSI-AS here, cause there's one thing that doesn't make sense to me on this one:

Why does there appear to be no deformation on that bullet whatsoever?

It reminds me of an old Welcome Back Kotter episdoe..."I come from a tough neighborhood, and we couldn't afford guns, so we had to insert the bullets manually..."

Last edited:
Yep, I think stihl sawing had it in the first reply.

Ball round from a pistol, probably a .45 ACP

With the low velocity and fmj, they look like you can reload and use over. Usually just rifling marks from the barrel.

Back