Homemade logsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlynr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG]
After working on this thing for over 6 weeks and then learning how to post pics (i hope) here is three views. I had the 48 chevy running gear, the lawn mower engine(back half of a rear engine snapper), the 9 gallon tank and the beam. Rest was made from scrap iron laying around. Had to buy the hydr motor, hoses,lovejoy coupler,control valve etc. Seems to work ok,although I haven't split anything larger than 14" straight hickory.

nice!!

man, i love seeing home made splitters.

let's get going on some wood and put it thru the tests.

Last edited:
I had some ready to split and my friend that works at store where they sell log splitters was having a demonstration day and hauled my wood up there and he split it for me for nothing. Only thing was had to go back that eve and haul it back home.
The multi colors is from leftover rattle cans of paint.

Nice splitter....that fuel tank up high is nice, as long as the engine has cooled before refilling.

Well done merlynr, but I got a question for you- where did you get the pump for the vertical shaft engine? I've been looking for one. Would it be the same as one for a horizontal shaft engine? I'm kind of trying to do the same thing. My neighbor wants to give me a splitter that he scored from a yard sale a while back in exchange for some work I did for him- the thing is that its one that runs off of a tractors hydraulics (no engine or pump). Its real nice and heavy. I'd run it off my tractor but would rather not because I usually have it tied up doing other stuff. I have a couple of 11 horse vertical shaft engines hanging around and thought I'd rig something up with one of them (kind of like your setup). I just don't know the limitations associated with hydraulic pumps- never had to look at one.
Thanks in advance.

Well done merlynr, but I got a question for you- where did you get the pump for the vertical shaft engine? I've been looking for one. Would it be the same as one for a horizontal shaft engine? I'm kind of trying to do the same thing. My neighbor wants to give me a splitter that he scored from a yard sale a while back in exchange for some work I did for him- the thing is that its one that runs off of a tractors hydraulics (no engine or pump). Its real nice and heavy. I'd run it off my tractor but would rather not because I usually have it tied up doing other stuff. I have a couple of 11 horse vertical shaft engines hanging around and thought I'd rig something up with one of them (kind of like your setup). I just don't know the limitations associated with hydraulic pumps- never had to look at one.
Thanks in advance.

most pumps will work in either position. i use a vertical engine with a barnes pump.

WELL DONE!! I like it. Looks like something I might have concocted if I didn't chicken out and buy one.

Good job, hope it works out well for you.

Chris

Northern makes a generic right angle bracket for a pump without having to bolt it to the engine.Vertical shaft engines are a lot easier to come by used and usually are a higher HP than the horizontals.

COOL,Nice job. When I built mine last year I used the snapper engine and tank like yours. Been a awesome machine.The electric start is a dream too. No more yanking the ol shoulder out of joint.

Thanks for the reply. It may not seem like it but it helps alot- I'm going to go talk to my neighbor about that splitter right now.

all my engines are vertical shafts. i began with an 18hp until that started having problems. i then switched to a 12.5 kohler and am running a 2 stage pump (22/11) with that. no problems at all.

this winter i'm going back to another 18hp briggs i came across and i'll keep the kohler as a spare.

Thanks for all the great responses. Yes electric start is real nice.
Those pumps don't care what pos they are in afaik and I used that L bracket from northern which made it easier as I had to just move engine around until the bracket aligned with beam under there. Had to keep coupler aligned too.

Now all you need is a hydrualic motor coupled to that drive shaft and a tiller steered dolly wheel under the hitch. A bit of hydro hosing and you are self-propelled ;)

Harry K

Gee....I wonder, hmmm... by golly it may work. Ok, what do I need. see u later guys.

Latest posts

Back