Echo CS-440 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Let the razzing begin...

This evening I picked-up an Echo CS-440 (not a CS-4400) & I've asked for a service manual in the 'Beg For Manuals' thread.

It has a badly scored piston on the exhaust side. I only had time to give it a quick look over through the exhaust port, but it looks as though the cylinder is scored on the carb side. The piston kits are available through Bailey's, but I'm probably going need the jug as well.

Anybody have a P&C for sale? Of course AS sponsors have first rights :).

Is it possible to replace the brake band, or does the whole cover have to be replaced?

I'll bump this thread as needed with additional questions, & hopefully photos.

TIA!

Chris

Hi,

I have been out of the biz for a while and I do not know all their newer model numbers.

If you have a cs440evl (orange with a horizontal engine), I probably have a service manual.

That series had really hard cylinders. But, if the cylinder is damaged then there should be good used motors available.

The weakness of all that series of saws (400,440,500,550,...) with the "evl" suffix (electronic vibe less) is the ignition system. They "go out" and they are expensive.

When they are running, they are the first ones my help would grab opposed to the vertical engine echo models.

Hope this helps,
echoman

Last edited:
Echoman 8, thanks for the info. Mine is grey, & is labelled CS-440, no EV or EVL. I'm not up on Echos, but the model # indicates that it's a newer model, but not the newest one. I'm going to dig into it next week, but was really hoping for a service manual before doing so. Hopefully the jug will be useable; if I have any doubt I'll post a photo or two.

I know that there are a few folks here on AS who actually
like & use the newer Echos :jawdrop:, but they're staying very quiet :taped:.

I've got the cylinder unbolted from the manifold. The jug doesn't want to break free, & no, the piston isn't stuck. I normally try a few gentle whacks with a rubber mallet, but I'm wondering if heating the jug would help.

Re the jug bolts--They're cheaply made, the head on all but one started stripping before it came close to breaking free. It appears that I wasn't the first person to have a go at them, unless they were damaged when the saw was first assembled. Also, the IPL showed them as 5mm, but in fact they're 4mm.

Finally got the jug removed. The jug is bolted to the manifold, but the manifold is also bolted to the jug from the bottom, meaning to I had to pull the entire engine out. The piston & rings are goners, & the jug is pretty badly scored. I don't think that polishing/honing it would work.

The P&C kit is available for 40-50 bucks, but I don't see the jug listed as a part by itself. Closest I've found is the entire short block, & that's about $180.00.

Does anyone know if the cylinder is can be purchased separately?

Hey, Bob, good to hear from an Echo fan. I'm going to try a couple of shops tomorrow. I have seen a crankcase set offered for about $105.00, but it includes a couple parts (manifold & lower housing) that I don't need. No knock on the saw, but I'm not wanting to put too much money into it.

If I could find someone wanting to unload a mechanically sound 440 with a damaged body........:monkey:.

It's disassembled, sitting in a box. The parts new (jug isn't sold as separate part) from an Echo dealer would exceed any value that the CS-440 might have as a running used saw.

I was hoping that someone here at AS would have the service manual, a good P&C, or a mechanically sound parts saw....................:bang:.

EDIT--If you look at pages 26-27 you'll see how Echo sells the jug.

http://www.echo-usa.com/pdf/documentation/CS440_08_111407.pdf

Last edited:
It's disassembled, sitting in a box. The parts new (jug isn't sold as separate part) from an Echo dealer would exceed any value that the CS-440 might have as a running used saw.

I was hoping that someone here at AS would have the service manual, a good P&C, or a mechanically sound parts saw....................:bang:.

EDIT--If you look at pages 26-27 you'll see how Echo sells the jug.

http://www.echo-usa.com/pdf/documentation/CS440_08_111407.pdf

hey chris,
if you decide to start again on your project, try and locate a cs-520 donor saw or shortblock. though there are a few part numbers different here and there, the 520 and 440 frame should be able to carry either shortblock assembly.
this may also apply to the variants of the series; 4400, 510, ect. but i am going off memory from back when i wanted to upgrade my 440 to a 520.

hey chris,
if you decide to start again on your project, try and locate a cs-520 donor saw or shortblock. though there are a few part numbers different here and there, the 520 and 440 frame should be able to carry either shortblock assembly.
this may also apply to the variants of the series; 4400, 510, ect. but i am going off memory from back when i wanted to upgrade my 440 to a 520.

This' the first time anyone mentioned being able use parts from a CS-520. Thanks!

here is what you need,,the cylinder can be ordered but it might be kind of high,,you will just need to call a dealer

http://www.echo-usa.com/pdf/documentation/CS4400T1E_071901_1.pdf

echo is the only thing to run:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The IPLs show different part #s for the CS-440 (what I have) and the CS-4400. IIRC they are different saws, despite the 440/4400 similarity.

I have a cs 440 and a cs 4400 and they are both pretty much the same. I really like them both,did the carb and muffler mod to the 440 and it runs better than the 4400. So no one is razzing you here! Fix it and you will like the saw.

Last edited:
This' the first time anyone mentioned being able use parts from a CS-520. Thanks!

The IPLs show different part #s for the CS-440 (what I have) and the CS-4400. IIRC they are different saws, despite the 440/4400 similarity.

if you look at the numbers in the ipls provided by echo's website you can determine if the major stuff interchanges.

it's been a year or so ago but i recall that the chassis was the same on 2 or more of those series saws and that oilers and flywheels and such mostly interchanged.
again, all from memory, so be sure to check your ipls before you buy a $100.00 parts saw to fix/upgrade yours.

:cheers:

Back