BeechTree-Crane-Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Although still very vigorous, this tree had hollowed out from the base right through to the major limbs. Next to a busy road and school, it was condemned, unfortunately....

Anyway, it was our job to remove it safely....so traffic control a 50 tonne crane and adequate man-power, everything went pretty smoothly....not bad weather for filming either!

Enjoy the vid guys. Thanks

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1cRBM9BUM

That was sweeeet!!

I liked the soundtrack too. Wish you had put another piece in there after if finished.

I was impressed with the nice balance you found on each piece. Almost no vertical butt movement on any of the limbs. I think one had a little but not much. Your crane operator was smooth too. Funny little half moon shape in the main spar at the top.

In one of the segments early on you are safetied way to the up and the left. What were you tied into there? I like your jacket too, looks clean and professional. Is it a standard arbo jacket over there? I have seen others with that jacket but not sure if it was only you in those vids.

Last question....what helmet cam are you using? I have thought of getting one for some of my climbs but also for some mtb singletrack rides.

Awesome vid!

That was sweeeet!!

I liked the soundtrack too. Wish you had put another piece in there after if finished.

I was impressed with the nice balance you found on each piece. Almost no vertical butt movement on any of the limbs. I think one had a little but not much. Your crane operator was smooth too. Funny little half moon shape in the main spar at the top.

In one of the segments early on you are safetied way to the up and the left. What were you tied into there? I like your jacket too, looks clean and professional. Is it a standard arbo jacket over there? I have seen others with that jacket but not sure if it was only you in those vids.

Last question....what helmet cam are you using? I have thought of getting one for some of my climbs but also for some mtb singletrack rides.

Awesome vid!

Thankyou brother, I'm sure glad at least one person liked it

I was tied into the half-moon piece right up until it was removed....had to clear it of snags to begin with but it was worth it.

The jacket is made by stein....waterproof, breathable, durable and obviously hi-visibility which was handy on this occasion because at the start, the crane-op and I could hardly see each other, what with all that foliage (See Photo)

The HelmetCam is the pov1 http://www.vio-pov.com/
attachment.php

Last edited:
Well, ya already know i liked it, Reg!!

did ya make your crane slings? and how do you adjust length? tie them with some excess tail? I didn't see a prussic......What material are they? I have to make some.....

Different application, but I've used a length of Plasma (36k tensile at 1/2 inch) to facilitate a high tie on dead wood, (typically an upright stem), then a series of marls, so that if it breaks, each piece is still attached.

Thanks

did ya make your crane slings? and how do you adjust length? tie them with some excess tail? I didn't see a prussic......What material are they? I have to make some.....

QUOTE]

They're just 4m L 20mm Diam dead-eye's. Yes I just tie them with the bite at the desired point and use up the excess with marl's. We managed with 2 on all but a couple of lifts that needed a little more support

Nice Work Reg! I did the American twin of that tree this summer, but no crane! It is sad that when they get that big is also when they start to rot from the inside! Mine had just begun to rot at the base. Took two full days to rig and lower down. I would have loved to use a crane! Thank you for sharing. You do truly outstanding work, stay safe!

Thanks.

Nice work Reg, very smooth crane operator as well! Is that a 372 your running there?

deevo, that was a 390 with 30in bar and then the 3120 with 42in for the wider stuff.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That a big beech. Hard to beleive it was standing by looking at the trunk. How many hours? You never take video of yourself tying em off and lets have a look at the handsome Reg too. Huh?
Don't work to hard buddy:)
I was actually more impressed by how long the ladder was. That was a joke to.

Last edited:
That a big beech. Hard to beleive it was standing by looking at the trunk. How many hours? You never take video of yourself tying em off and lets have a look at the handsome Reg too. Huh?
Don't work to hard buddy:)
I was actually more impressed by how long the ladder was. That was a joke to.

Thanks
I'd say I was probably about three and half to four hours in the tree, although for much of that time I was just waiting around while the crane was moving the logs about for the guys.

The youtube duration doesn't allow for much time but yeah I could've slipped a little more slinging in there. In truth though, a guy was asking about balancing horizontals on another forum so I had him in mind when I edited the video.

You need to tied in first before getting up that particular ladder mate, its a wobbly one I can tell you!

Thanks
I'd say I was probably about three and half to four hours in the tree, although for much of that time I was just waiting around while the crane was moving the logs about for the guys.

The youtube duration doesn't allow for much time but yeah I could've slipped a little more slinging in there. In truth though, a guy was asking about balancing horizontals on another forum so I had him in mind when I edited the video.

You need to tied in first before getting up that particular ladder mate, its a wobbly one I can tell you!

Is the ladders' name Rickey?
To save some rigging I usually just tie the tip of outstrected branches and notch the top to pull it up. I have never taken on a tree that big with a crane by myself. It truly was a monster and I would have most assuredly gotten a ride in, no ladder. Looks like work. Just another day at the office for Reg Coates though... I am going to crawl back into my hole now, sell my saw and become a carny.

Last edited:
With stupid regulations like no hook riding, it's takes more time to get out to tip tie. And, balancing the loads has the side advantage of being much faster to set down. it also takes less time to make the cut. As well, tip tying requires tying in where the limb is weaker, thus a slight risk of breakage, which might necessitate multiple tie points..or at least marling the load as insurance against breakage.

Our ANSI Z-133 allows riding the ball (properly tied in above it), but many crane companies still don't allow it. Luckily, there's a few here that do.

They're just 4m L 20mm Diam dead-eye's. Yes I just tie them with the bite at the desired point and use up the excess with marl's. We managed with 2 on all but a couple of lifts that needed a little more support

Cool....I want to make some in different lengths. right now, all I have is one appx 25 foot length of 36k Plasma, which isn't even spliced, so right away, about 50% of that strength is lost in the knot. That length is good for marling a brittle dead tree.....

Easy stuff to splice, I just gotta get on it.....my local guy with his wholesale prices is the cat's meow, too! Will add chafe tubing in the eye, which needs to be large enough to fit in the crane hook easily---I'd think 6 inches is big enuf?

As we do so few decurrent trees, I've seldom needed such slings....just use the fabric ones that crane ops carry...which pretty mcuh suck!

I might also make some from normal double braid, as it's plenty strong for most work, knots and grips better, but is harder to splice.

Nice work, need to get you a 20"-24" bar for that saw, 30" seemed like a lot to swing around on the limb cuts. Impressed with the balance of the cuts also. Thanks for posting. :cheers:

Yeah!

Reg, you need a ported 5100 20", or a 359 24" both will be about as fast as that 390 with a 30", if its bone stock...

i could fix you up......given time...

am looking at an ebay 359 currently, to replace my stolen modded 357.

hearing pro a must though, for anyone within a 10 block radius....:chainsaw:

Thanks for the advice.

Perhaps I could do with something in-between my 200t and the 390....

I'm primarily a freelance climber though you see, so generally keep the gear to essentials only.

Is the ladders' name Rickey?
QUOTE]

"Rickety", right, Reg?

We use our 28 foot ladder often to access tree canopies.....piece of cake, saves energy.....just have lifeline set per SOP...

Rickey for short but yup.

This yellow strap thingy thing was under 100.
treejob_079.jpg

Yeah I guess It would take me about 3 hours just to get to the top of that ladder. Its like half the tree! 40 footer?

I have too had the clip open and my rope fall out of the hook. I have to go back to the very first guy who ever showed me wrong on that.

I would hate to hurt anybodies feelings by telling them how much I would want to climb that tree if I wasn't going to be put in it.

So you take the amount of time Reg told us it took him to do,mltiply that by what whatever you guys are paying your top notch climbers and you get something like a hundred bucks ? I wish I knew that when I first started.

I am sure this ain't the case here but... seems like the homeowners ain't the only ones looking for cheap. Nothing personal unless you are that person.

Back