break loose siezed piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidehillgrowler

Stihl 056
Reaction score
wondering if anyone out there has a way to break loose a piston that is seized. The chainsaw has been sitting for a long time. Looking through the exhaust port it does not look like it is stuck because of overheating or lack of oil. It may have had moisture in it I'm not sure. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I'm trying to restore this say which is a david bradley.

Start with ample penetrating oil down the spark plug hole and let it work for a while. Have had luck with dowel and a hammer

Someone mentioned fitting a grease nipple on a gutted spark plug and giving it a few shots of grease, It should work unless the ports are exposed!

Kroil loosened up the (4) seized pistons on my old 1950 Case Model S that had been sitting in the bush for 5 or more years.

Through the years I've tried every penetrating oil that I could get my hands on and Kroil is by far the best that I've come across.

Recently I've read about another called Free Oil (www.freealloil.com), but have not had occasion to try it. If I ever come across it I will buy a can to try out, but I won't go looking for it since I've had such success with Kroil.

I use marvel mystery oil (red and black bottle at Wal-Mart.) The grease gun trick works well too.

I have had good luck with PB Blaster.

Me too, at least on rusted bolts and such. Never tried it with a stuck piston, but I bet it'd work.

I've heard of using ATF on tractors and such. I think the thought process is the detergents and other additives in it helps break up the rust. I don't know if there's anything really to that or not.

Dad's broken loose a few tractors with just soaking with plain old penetrating oil and a dowel and a hammer.

Someone once recommended ATF. Anyone ever try that?

When I was a lad, I spent a few days taking apart a rusty 2 stroke Suzuki T200 with ATF. Pull heads, pour in ATF, next day beat on pistons with wooden stake and sledge hammer, put spacers under cylinders and beat some more... I don't think the ATF did much other than provide some lubrication.

Add a little heat along with your penetrating fluids ,no more than a couple hundred degs. ,heat lamp for overnight 6-8 hrs ,you would be surprised. Also good brand of rust inhibiting antifreeze has unstuck many marine engines in my time , I live in the Maritimes and the boat engines around here get stuck when laid up for the winter months if not oiled before storing them .
Pioneerguy600

Back