So quiet you hear the rattles.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
How different does a 361 sound? I have one that had obviously never been in wood, had been fueled though. (Ebay new one) It runs and sounds fine except when deep in a cut, and then it has this weird clanking or rattle clanging sound. I cant' find anything wrong with it, but I haven't really taken it apart.

Oh by the way it is nice to know I don't have to worry about cancer. THe saw is very light, and the antivibe makes it feel like it is made of rubber.

Anybody have an idea what this noise is? Is it just because the muffler is so quiet?:monkey:

the saw is quiet.
you can hear the chain tearing the wood.

sometimes my chain gets grabby and i notice a sound like something rattling around inside a cardboard box while cutting, and you feel it even through the a/v.

more than anything though, mine has a high pitched wizzy wistle sound when really going to it.

clanking or clanging i don't know about.

Last edited:
It MIGHT be teh chain tearing the wood, but it sounds a little ring-y for that. I put a 18" bar on it, and the only 3/8 18" chain I had was an RM3 or something, with this HUGE bump with a tail on it, in front of each tooth on the chain. I ground all that crap off, made them like regular tie straps......the raker is stihl in front of each tooth. Maybe I took too much off. I will get some RSC built on Monday, and see how it goes. Thanks.

Update: I believe it was the chain. I had ground those bumps off unevenly, thinking the as long as they were below the teeth it wood be fine. THe chain was bumping around a bit. Found a new RM in the basement, and it settled down quite a bit. Yesterday was a bit stressful, we finally got the big hackberry on the ground, (perfect placement) and I was likely in a mood to overreact. MS 361 is a very nice saw. I like it, I think it is a keeper. It is weird to hear the cutters slicing the wood, though...........

How different does a 361 sound? I have one that had obviously never been in wood, had been fueled though. (Ebay new one) It runs and sounds fine except when deep in a cut, and then it has this weird clanking or rattle clanging sound. I cant' find anything wrong with it, but I haven't really taken it apart.

Oh by the way it is nice to know I don't have to worry about cancer. THe saw is very light, and the antivibe makes it feel like it is made of rubber.

Anybody have an idea what this noise is? Is it just because the muffler is so quiet?:monkey:

That rattling or tinging noise you hear is merely the clutch barely touching the drum at idle. At idle if you toss the chain brake on the nosie goes away instantly. The second you increase throttle it goes away instantly due to the clutch making full contact with the drum. I've noticed the 361 has a habit of making those tingling sounds at the sprocket right out the box brand new. It seems the clearance between the clutch drum and the clutch shoes is tight on those saws. Nothing to be concerned with unless the chain rotates at idle. My 361 makes those little tingling noises as well.

It runs and sounds fine except when deep in a cut, and then it has this weird clanking or rattle clanging sound. I cant' find anything wrong with it, but I haven't really taken it apart.

That rattling or tinging noise you hear is merely the clutch barely touching the drum at idle. At idle if you toss the chain brake on the nosie goes away instantly. The second you increase throttle it goes away instantly due to the clutch making full contact with the drum. I've noticed the 361 has a habit of making those tingling sounds at the sprocket right out the box brand new. It seems the clearance between the clutch drum and the clutch shoes is tight on those saws. Nothing to be concerned with unless the chain rotates at idle. My 361 makes those little tingling noises as well.

I think he is referring to a sound when the saw is in the wood.

I once asked a motorcycle mechanic about a ticking noise I heard in a motor. He listened for a second. His diagnosis was,'' There are allot of moving parts in there, you're gonna hear allot ticking noise. Run it, if it breaks get it fixed.''

The noise never went away and I never had a problem with that bike.

It runs and sounds fine except when deep in a cut, and then it has this weird clanking or rattle clanging sound. I cant' find anything wrong with it, but I haven't really taken it apart.

Mine does it too, sometimes. Can you feel it when it does it? If you are deep and it starts and you rock the saw up or down in the cut does it go away? Hard wood or soft? Up aginst the spikes or holding it away from the log?

Mine happens only when deep in a good sized log, light pressure and if I have maintained a steady cut with no rocking motion at all. I think it is a bit of a skip and the vibration is causing the chain to clank on the sprocket.

Mine does it too, sometimes. Can you feel it when it does it? If you are deep and it starts and you rock the saw up or down in the cut does it go away? Hard wood or soft? Up aginst the spikes or holding it away from the log?

Mine happens only when deep in a good sized log, light pressure and if I have maintained a steady cut with no rocking motion at all. I think it is a bit of a skip and the vibration is causing the chain to clank on the sprocket.

Yeah, it was deep in big logs (hackberry), but I switched chains and it went away. LIkely just skip and jump. Now I see why people like that 361. I could run it without earplugs if I felt like it. WAAAAY different from my muffmodded 026, LOLOL

Latest posts

Back