024 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have been working on an 024 for quite a while now. New piston, then a air leak(my fault), torn key(my fault), new impulse tube and fuel line. So my latest problem deals with starting. I can always get it to start, but it is nothing like my other saws....

When I have it fully choked, I can pull away and never hear a pop. Switch it up to half choke and it takes a few pulls and it will start, but doesn't pull much rpms at all (most of my saws really turn so rpms on half-choke). I blip the throttle to unchoke it and it seems to run fine.

My other saws take a pull or two on full choke, pop. I switch it to half-choke and they light off and rev up really fast. I blip the throttle after a few seconds and let them warm up.

So what could be causing my starting problems? Do most 024s start like this? Do they lack rpms on the half choke position? I replaced the spring that controls the choke rod. The choke lever in the air filter is sealing off well. It has new gas line and impulse tube. Do you think a new diaphragm or carb kit would solve it? Seemed fine when I took it apart.

Easy - just tweak the throttle rod slightly (out of the saw)... Someone has likely taken it off the carb without removing the handle cover -that bends it the wrong way...

That will solve you H speed interlock and likely your starting.

Last edited:
Easy - just tweak the throttle rod slightly (out of the saw)... Someone has likely taken it off the carb witlout remvoing the handle cover -that bends it the wrong way...

That will solve you H speed interlock and likely your starting.

Hmm, I see what you are saying. It is tight in there. I will give it a try. If it doesn't work....I can dig through a parts 026 at my dealer and try that rod.

Thanks Lakeside.:clap:

Oh it works... if you bend the correct part.;) Look at your switch shaft just in case the interlock nub is broken off or worn.

Last edited:
Oh it works... if you bend the correct part.;) Look at your throttle shaft just in case the interlock nub is broken off or worn.

Well, I should have inquired some more. I started with a minor tweak, nothing different. Bend it some more, nothing different. Bent even more, now I am in trouble..:censored:. Off to the dealer on Monday. I am about to work on that sucker there instead of keeping making trips back and forth for minor parts.:dizzy:

You can tell how much it needs by touching the throttle at idle - there should only be tiny amount of slack trigger. If that's right and no high speed interlock, then the problem is switch shaft or trigger.

Last edited:
Alright, the throttle rod was as you described before I started bending it. I think I will take it to my dealer and start playing with other parts. This saw has been a pain in the @ss; mostly my fault though, but I have had a few stupid things go wrong.

There's only about $12 worth of parts in that area. Put on a NEW master control shaft (the 1125 series) and maybe a new trigger.

I adjusted my throttle linkage on 026 yesterday. Found that bending the end of linkage where it rides the tab on the carb was effective. Mine wasn't going to wot.

There's a right angle (not really, but..) bend in the rod - adjust that...

They never need adjusting unless someone in the past had tried to remove them without removing the handle cover first.

Back