026 WT-194 Carb question - rust pitted H and L screws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rallen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I took apart the 026 carb from the saw I recently acquired and it is apparent that it sat in the shop for quite some time. The H and L needles both show some corrosion, and the screw that locks the pivot axle in for the fuel pump metering needle lever was rusty on top.

I took everything apart and cleaned it up with a dremel tool and a fine wire brush / polyester brush, and got the rust off, but the H and L screws look almost "pock marked" if I examine them closely. Can these be re-used? Does it make sense to try to buy new H and L screws? I see in the Stihl 026 IPL they list them, and from what I can tell they are available and run about $4.50 each. I am assuming that only the screws are steel, and the jets which they meter are brass.

I have read on here that the WT-194 is the carb of choice for the 026. I see I can buy a used one on ebay for $40, and a new one for about $60. Or...I can wait and see how they work in spite of their appearance. Perhaps someone has some experience with this? Already invested in the carb kit, but of course I am certain I will end up with another saw sometime in the future that needs the re-build kit if i elect to buy a new one.

Thanks.

Robert

Latest posts

Back