036 in the dead wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Berry

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HowDo to all! I run a bone stock 036, 325x8, 26RS, 18" rollo E. 80% of my firewood cutting is dead oak, maple and cherry some hickory and black locus. Have always ran this setup and dont have an issue with it just curious as to any benefits in going to 33RS. I need a new bar either way and sprocket $$ no big deal and files are cheap enough. Ive done searches and read lots of pros and cons between the two pitches but how would they compare in dry dead hardwood.

Thanks, TBerry

bigger

Having cut maple and beech on the stump with an 034, 3/8, 20 inch, I like the RS setup. The saw has power to turn it. It must be kept sharp, but who runs a dull chain. Switch if you get the chance.
Maybe you can pickup a nice used 3/8 bar and chain, then all you would need is a sprocket.:chainsaw:

I have run both chains on my 036 and my 360 Pro with equal ease in the 'dead' oak out here in West Texas, that I cut on local ranches. I've since sold those saws. I now have two 361's, and I run a .325x.058 Carlton square chisel chain on a 16" bar on one for limbing and the same chain with a 20" bar on the other one. I bought a partial roll of this old Carlton chain last year and its very hard steel and holds up great in this hard dead oak. Once its gone, I'll go back to the 3/8x.050 set up which works very well for me too.

Thanks fellas, Do you think the 036 could pull 33RS, 3/8x8, on a 16" bar as good or better than 26RS, 325x8 on a 18" bar? I have wore the o.e.m 18" out and really 16" is all I need.

i use 3/8 full comp full chisel on my 036 Pro. i use a 20" bar now but the saw came with a 24" and 3/8" chain. i used it many years stock with this setup in soft woods. i think in hardwood you could pull a 16-18" bar just fine stock. now if you have it modified you could pull a bigger bar and cut about anything! i love the 036 either way.

T Berry said:
Thanks fellas, Do you think the 036 could pull 33RS, 3/8x8, on a 16" bar as good or better than 26RS, 325x8 on a 18" bar? I have wore the o.e.m 18" out and really 16" is all I need.
I think the answer to that is anyones guess, and heavily dependant on the wood you are cutting.

Only one way to find out - try it in your own wood.:greenchainsaw:

My old 036 Pro with a three hole muffler mod could pull any chain on any bar up to 25" with ease. And all I mostly cut is hard dead oak on nearby ranches; its dead dry, no rain to speak of out here in several years, that's why there is so much dead oak to cut. On my 361's I run 16" and 18" bars with .325 chain and 3/8 on the longer bars when needed.

Thanks Again for all your input, after looking at everything mentioned it looks as though the 26 and 33 are pretty close for this saw.

TB

T Berry said:
Thanks Again for all your input, after looking at everything mentioned it looks as though the 26 and 33 are pretty close for this saw.
TB
I think you got that right - which is faster depend on a lot of factors...

For limbing, I am playing with the thought of a 16", 25RS, 9-pin set-up on my 361. :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back