046 Mag Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just put new rings in a 046 Magnum tonight and noticed a few minor scratches on the intake side of the piston. I'm not talking scoring at all. Obvoiusly, I want to keep this to a minimum. Compression was 130 before the new rings and jumped to almost 150 psi right after the first start up.

I have a question on the filter maintenance. Do you oil the wire mesh/gauze filter on a 046 Magnum, like a K&N? It also has a pre-filter that goes around the main filter. I assume this gets no oil.

No oil on a K&N? Never heard of it. Of course my experience with K&Ns are on motorcycle and aircraft applications, chainsaw filters may be different.

Ian

Haywire Haywood said:
No oil on a K&N? Never heard of it. Of course my experience with K&Ns are on motorcycle and aircraft applications, chainsaw filters may be different.

Ian

Is the filter in question a K&N or a factory Stihl HD filter?

The K&N, which I have never seen for chainsaw will get oiled.

The Stihl filter does not get oil, there is even a logo on the underside that has a drop of oil and and / through it. The prefilter is just for the larger chunks of wood and to stop the bigger dust. Let me ask you this, as I just bought a saw that had the original Metal HD filter in it. Is your filter metal or plastic?

The foam inside the filter is for carb spitback, only reason it is there. The newer 460's and 046's do not use the foam if there is a round plastic cover over the carb.

no oil.....

Guys... be carefull.... The OLD Stihl HD filter (a folded material inside of a folded wire mesh) needed the internal sponge oiled. The newer (1996 onwards!!!) fleece (yellow material beneath a stainless mesh) is not oiled on any part including the sponge, and, several of the saws it fits on DO NOT have the center sponge installed.

and.. if you have the old filter, chuck it... They are really inefficient and impossible clean. $22 will buy you a new filter/prefilter set...

The filter is the original one to the saw. It is a HD filter with prefilter. The part# is 000 120 1600. The latest part# i have is 000 120 1654, so it's not the latest one. The saw came with a bottle of oil. It saw on the bottle that it's "for impregnating STIHL HD are filters after cleaning". The oil part# is 0789 000 0026.

Back