066 Rookie (Burned after reading)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlWeekendWarrior

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought an 066 off of eBay a few days ago and have been patiently waiting for it to arrive in the mail. While reading up on them I ran across the redlight articles regarding the 066 flat tops and wondered how fragile the crank actually is when an aluminum flywheel is run with an unlimited coil? The saw I bought isn't a redlight, doesn't have a compression release, but does have an aluminum flywheel. By no means am I going logging with it, but I am rather concerned about the flywheel destroying the crankshaft in my firewood endeavours. How likely is that to happen? And is there a poly flywheel that I can put on the existing crankshaft? Ive sifted through threads far and wide across the internet and cant find the reassurance Ive been looking for, and I'm rather disappointed in myself for not doing this research prior to buying.:mad:

the old flat top was really the same as a redlight but not limited. i've seen a few with blown big ends but not common at all. like Brad said, i'd run it and not worry about it,

the old flat top was really the same as a redlight but not limited. i've seen a few with blown big ends but not common at all. like Brad said, i'd run it and not worry about it,
Will do. Should probably avoid putting a dual port muffler on it as well.
Worst case, I have the sought-after top end to put on an updated crank if she does screw up. Assuming my research has taught me anything.

HD2 filter too.

i learned to hate the HD2. no fun trying to clean out those ****ers up on the hill. they say running a pre filter removes any air flow benefits of the HD2 but a guy cannot possibly consider it. even an air compressor don't clean them right. i've got a pre filter on my last 660 which has an HD2. some of the other fallers don't give a **** though. they just tap them out best they can.

i learned to hate the HD2. no fun trying to clean out those ****ers up on the hill. they say running a pre filter removes any air flow benefits of the HD2 but a guy cannot possibly consider it. even an air compressor don't clean them right. i've got a pre filter on my last 660 which has an HD2. some of the other fallers don't give a **** though. they just tap them out best they can.

Lol..i was jokin dude..i like max flows.

How often do you have to clean an HD-2 filter, Shane?

everyday end of day. i switched back to husky though lol the stihl kick didn't last long. after running the 660/661 i can say the only thing better about the 90cc stihl is they put up better with neglect from idiots who don't know how to maintain saws. maintain your gear and they both do just fine. there's a faller with a 06 390 and the front of the case is literally a layer of epoxy. still runs great with some serious hour on it. i know one faller with 3 661's with blown cranks now. same guy with all 3. he went and bought some used 660's lol

I ll ttake a 660 overt the 661. I liked the HD2 fine dust kept getting under my HD1 until i put grease under it to catch little particals

Back