075 ........what did I do to it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spokerider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Was working on an 075AV yesterday that was dirty and ran for but 10 seconds at a time.
I put a carb kit in, took off the side cover and removed the clutch with an electric impact driver......it came of easily and without any trouble, and then proceeded to wash the saw with degreaser, rinse with water. I also took the muffler cover off to clean it and behind it, but did not disassemble further than that. Also took the plug out to clean / gap.

Put it all back together, installed the clutch with the impact driver letting it tighten the clutch nut with two-three "tap, tap, tap" once the nut was tight. I dunno what the actual torque rating of this Can Tire brand electric impact driver is, but it's not much....

Anyway, went to start the saw and crap, the starter only pulled about 8" then stopped. I didn't bugger with the pull starter at all when cleaning. Water inside the cylinder through the muffler port??? Pulled the plug again, and nope, no water. Get the flash light look inside for anything inside the cylinder or down the intake port [ carb is off again at this point ], but I don't see anything. Seems the piston will only come up to TDC but not go past. I can turn the crankshaft backwards and same thing.......the piston gets to TDC and won't go past. I hear a "metallic thud" and stops like *right now*, like something is hitting something. It comes up to TDC rotating either way, but won't go past TDC, either way.

WTF? Did I damage something when tightening the clutch with the impact driver? I'm sure I didn't drop any foreign object into the CC or cylinder as I had the intake plugged with shop towel / covered with plastic and rubber band for cleaning. Yep, I still have both of the 2 little nuts that hold the air filter cowling in place, so I didn't loose one down the intake.

There may be a piece of metal missing from the corner of the plate under where the carb sits. I can't remember if it was missing before I started.......maybe it's fallen into the fan assembly, causing the obstruction? I have a look again today.

So, while I'm buggering with what I've buggered.........do you gents who know the 050-076 stihl platform have any ideas?
Thanks.

Could a shoe fall off the clutch and hit a bolt or oil pump? Just guessing here.

I took the clutch off again and it was all intact. Still have the problem. I'm going to start by taking the gas tank / pull start off to see if there is any obstruction with the fan.
Just researching a little on how this saw comes apart.........not familiar with this design and don't have a service manual for it.

In the last pic, you can see the suspect missing corner of the plate.

075AVCleanedwithcarbkit003_zps17ca9a7c.jpg

075AVCleanedwithcarbkit001_zps0baf3eb1.jpg

075AVCleanedwithcarbkit007_zpsec9901b0.jpg

075AVCleanedwithcarbkit008_zpsc6778c34.jpg

If the starter was on when you tightened the clutch with the impact, I would remove the recoil and inspect closely. Bet something is bound up, jammed up or broken.

OK, found it.
Broken ring and a bit of the piston side. Obviously, the piston and cylinder are done.
I think that the damage was already there when I got the saw. It ran for 10 seconds, then quit. Restarted it, it ran for 10 seconds and then quit. I diagnosed it as needing a carb kit. Anyway, there was a part of the piston up in the cylinder........prolly got up there from all of the tipping / turning I had done while washing it.

........anybody have a spare 075 top end, lol.

The cylinder is scored now. When I went to start it after reassembling, I didn't pull the cord like a *****! Guess there was a fragment of metal that went north with the pull. To bad. It looked very good otherwise.

Back