• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy 181/281/288 parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For my 181 I need :

Fuel tank
Brake parts
Might need ign parts, need to test.
Maybe outer dog

For my 281 :

Tank
Handle
Air deflector
Exh heat shield
Brake/clutch cover
Dogs
Crank
Possibly IGN

I have some extra mufflers and top covers

IMG_2849.jpeg

may have a wrap handle. I have clutch covers but only for 61s to 268s. :( I have 181 cranks but not for the 281. May have some misc small nos pts but will need #s to check.
I need a 288 top cover :p
I just got a 288 project saw and haven't even evaluated it much yet.
I think 181 and 281 cranks are the same, maybe barring the early small bearing 181. I have covers!

So, I found out this nos crank kit fits the 181, 281, and 288. I have a 288 to restore so may need one.
do you just need a good used one? The used one I have is an older type with a smaller shaft diameter. 501 81 51-01 rather than the 61-01

and, I found a nos top cover, lol, HD type that I didn’t recognize.

So, I found out this nos crank kit fits the 181, 281, and 288. I have a 288 to restore so may need one.
do you just need a good used one? The used one I have is an older type with a smaller shaft diameter. 501 81 51-01 rather than the 61-01

and, I found a nos top cover, lol, HD type that I didn’t recognize.
I’m good I think, getting a crank from Cory Corp

Do you know how much slop is too much on these cranks? I'm trying to guage using the brand new one against the one in the saw. I'm thinking of setting up my dial indicator in some fashion to get a good measurement.
Slop in the crank/rod bearing? Very very little. I never measured it but I had a 395 get a bit in it and it rattled. Chasing that noise drove me nuts.

Yea, main rod bearing. Thete is nothing up/down but more wobble in the rod than I think should be. However, even the new one has some slop as in every crank I've ever seen.
I'm not sure what the correct procedure is for measuring that.
Wobble is ok. Lengthwise to the rod is not. If you google my nickname and this

Old 395xp rattle = big rod/crank bearing?​

You will probably find my thread.

Latest posts

Back