2 feet of soil added to the bottom of oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clear the trunk of the tree from all of the additional dirt added. When you pile dirt or mulch above the rootball you are doing what’s called “volcano mulching”. Search on the internet for volcano mulching and Mike McGroarty. Mike is a nursery man in Ohio and has a recent post about this. Yes, you will suffocate the tree, and possibly cause the tree to form advantageous roots in the new higher layer of soil that usually end up growing around the tree trunk and girdling (strangling) them. Also, driving heavy equipment within the drip line will compact the soil and crush some roots that also hurt the tree.
When I bought my place, the drive into the property went past a house with beautiful mature willow trees at the entrance. Dumbass owner, also a developer, thought it would look “better” if he piled dirt over the roots and put large stones on it. Not only did he destroy a beautiful vista, but now three years later the willows are falling over dead. I’ve taken landscaping and horticulture certificate courses for my business and volcano mulching is just wrong. When you drive around look at some of the nicely landscaped and maintained commercial properties and the “professional” landscaping companies do this on a regular basis. That’s it for my rant.

What is the remedy for roots that have come to the surface on their own? No mulch around the trunks but they do have a small layer of stone with a border. Large roots are sticking several inches above the surface, getting worse by the year. I can no longer mow around them for fear of hitting the roots. Was planning on adding 3-4" of topsoil around each tree, starting approximately 2' off the trunk, with an emphasis on sloping away from the tree for drainage.
Is covering them up worse than leaving them exposed?

When a small tree is removed from a pot, if they’ve been in there a long time they will sometimes have circling roots which are removed before planting. On a large established tree circling roots can kill it but may be removed if accessible depending on root’s exposure, but takes work. Sometimes there’s not much that can be done. For exposed roots not circling the tree which you probably have best just to leave them, and maybe plant something that will cover them. Lots of info on web, just takes a while to establish. Then avoid mowing in that area. The roots will eventually grow through top cover soil, so hiding them works.

ouch...so the 4~6 feet around the trunk I'll dig out is a waste of time? Would it afford the tree any time to establish new roots? I guess I'll find out.
My brother graded all of 4 feet (if not more) around a willow tree at least 10 years ago - tree was about 10~15 feet tall then, double that now - tree is looking good, didn't seem to affect it at all.
I can build my house out of balsa wood what is your point?

I know it's an old post

Latest posts

Back