20:36 Morbark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
One of my friends who does excavation wants me to buy his 20:36 Morbark off of him. He says that when he gets tree work in the future he'll just hire me to come in with my truck and the chipper. Not sure how much he wants for the machine, but he's willing to work with me on that, I know that much from experience. Is this machine good for a start-up tree company? I mean some months it's cheaper for me to rent a chipper, and others it's cheaper for me to own. I've run the machine before, and it's solid... the only thing that sometimes provides problems is the feed wheel belt. It would need new blades, fluid changes, and pretty much that's it. What do you guys think?

Hey Treeman ,

A 20/36 may be a little big for a tree service , it's the smallest version of whole tree chipper morbark makes . Does it have the cab and loader mounted on it ? My friend has one but he does mainly small land clearing jobs with it as it will chip 16" wood .. It's really a whole tree chipper not ment to be handfed brush and smaller wood . Plus it's pretty heavy around 20K lbs .
Buying it is up to you if you can get a good price on it , but I would think a tree service would be looking for something a little smaller and something hand fed.
Here is a link to the spec sheet from Morbark

http://www.morbark.com/Equipment/SpecSheets/20.36WTC.pdf

Later Rob

Ok, I was WAY off on the model numbers. This thing is an older hand fed chipper. I think its 12" model... before the model 17's, 13's, etc. The discharge chute is straight like a chuck and duck, but it does have the one big feed wheel.

It really comes down to dollars and cents... If it is a good deal and you are a legit company the depriciation is not a bad thing, and if your buddy can give you enough work to pay the note every month then all the other work is positive cash flow. All I have is a lil dump and a old chipper, but it can make me some extra cash, but I do not have a ton invested either.

Isn't the 2036 the predecessor to the 17 which is now the 2400. This is one of the 1st drums they made?? A real POS!!

Need more info.

Get me some info and I'll tell you what it's worth.
Year, model, hours.

As for, should you buy a chipper.
If you make you living doing tree work then absolutely.
Chippers are a great investment.
If you take good care of them, they don't lose much value and you will be much more efficient which equates into value.

Latest posts

Back