22 hp Briggs and Stratton V -Twin won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Caulder

Reaction score
I just rebuilt my V-Twin because one of the rocker arms broke. I replaced both rocker arms pistons and rings. Ne head gaskets ect. I still can not get it to start. It has spark, and is getting fuel. any ideas??

I have checked and set valves clearances. .005/.006 I removed valves and cleaned them to good seat. Leak test showed 12% on #1 and 22% #2. I did notice the flywheel looks like it has moved but only more like it has squeezed the key not broken. Would that make it not start? I did make sure the timing dots matched before putting it back together. I have rebuilt 3 or for single cylinder, but this things has me scratching my head. (or pulling my hair out).

At this point verify your timing events. Pull the valve covers And flywheel cover. Verify that your valves are opening and closing at reasonable points based on Top Dead Center. You can pull the plug verify TDC. Also when it comes up on the compression stroke verify that your magnetos are lining up with the magnets on the flywheel. I suspect a sheared key given the recent teardown.

At this point verify your timing events. Pull the valve covers And flywheel cover. Verify that your valves are opening and closing at reasonable points based on Top Dead Center. You can pull the plug verify TDC. Also when it comes up on the compression stroke verify that your magnetos are lining up with the magnets on the flywheel. I suspect a sheared key given the recent teardown.
I have checked and set valves clearances. .005/.006 I removed valves and cleaned them to good seat. Leak test showed 12% on #1 and 22% #2. I did notice the flywheel looks like it has moved but only more like it has squeezed the key not broken. Would that make it not start? I did make sure the timing dots matched before putting it back together. I have rebuilt 3 or for single cylinder, but this things has me scratching my head. (or pulling my hair out).

Replace the key.

Well that did not help at all. I did recheck the spark (late at night in the dark) and cylinder 1 shows spark but not near the spark cylinder 2 shows. Will that make it not start at all, or should it start on one cylinder and run rough? I guess I will get a couple magnetos and replace both of them. seems to be my last hope on this thing. We shall see.

Latest posts

Back