272xp tuning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87stocker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
272xp, Mild Port work(very mild port match and smoothing of intake side),Muffler mod. Just put a new(used) carb on because of PO's poor drilling of the idle screw that broke off. I cannot get it to idle fast enough to set the low where I want it to snap off the bottom end. Has anyone seen this? What am I missing.

Saws are set at sea level. so if you're not at sea level you sometimes need to cut the nylon stopers (knife) on your high/low to
unlimit the throw. Usually the low can't be turned left enough. Thats just one thing. (I was thinking 372...so I'll leave the comment. don't think 272 had limiter caps)?
Also it could be the carb itself.
Was the saw ever snapy?
could be in the porting?
pluged screen? dirty filter?

if its not responsive to all your settings...and the saw is warm with a clean filter and screens, then it sounds like the carbs screwed. I was just in Drayton working gas n oil in November as thats where the money is in the winter.
IT could be freezing up too. if it comes out of a warm shop and rides in the back of a truck it will likley freeze.
without a heated carb such as a 372 xpg then its always a good idea to leave it outside,don't put it by a fire or especially a vehicle tail pipe as its full of moisture. (use Iso for saw, throttle ect.)
the best way to adapt it back is to has a full tank and the second you step outside, fire it up and keep it running on route or for a while (stuff likely you know?)

Back