359 cat work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314epw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I want to thank all the people that answered my questions on the 359 mod job.It's done now accept the screen on the front.I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the front.Then drilled two holes in the backside thou the cat.This separated the cat.I took a punch and taped the cat toward the front whole,making a v shape to tunnel the exhaust toward the whole.
I fired it up and had 800 more RPMS at top end .Richened the carb tp 13300,runs like a champ!Cut through 19 inch red oak in 23 seconds.Could have been less but had trouble watching the watch!
Thanks again
Ed:clap:

Is it really that simple? Wow.

Sorry. I'm new here. First post. Been a lurker for a couple weeks. I've been reviewing everyone's comments on chainsaws because I have to yet buy (or use) my first.

I've been leaning toward one of these Huskies: 353, 359, or 357xp.

The 353 is already more saw than I need, but I also know that this is already dwelling well in the "so excessive that it must be a toy" category. Hence, the reason why I'm looking at the 359 and the 357xp as well. If I'm gonna have just one...

359 muffler mod

It was that simple! hardest part was getting the bolts threw the holes to mount it back on.I think I could go a bigger hole, but for now 1/2 inch is fine.The cat is like a flat 1" bar running left to right.I drilled 2 holes 1/2" each so they were touching.hammered the edges that were drilled toward the hole in the front.All exhaust forced toward front hole.Still have a Little back pressure which is good!What a difference.I now have my mid-sized raped ape.
Ed

455 362xp

The 359 makes the 455 seem like it's at halve throttle. The 362xp should be here by Monday
Ed

Did your idle jump up too, I found the LS needed to be richened a bit and the idle needed to be backed down 500 rpm. But I put two 3/4" pipes in the muffler, opening it up a good bit more.

359 mod

Idle speed and low mixture was fine.Top end was the only thing that changed.I just richened it up a bit
Ed

You can go bigger yet. look at the size of the exhaust flange and work towards an exhaust opening 75% of that area. That should give you 35-40% increased cutting speed over the stock muffler when teamed up with a good sharp chain. If you compair the before and after with a dull chain you won't see the same gains.

Hey 314epw

Congratulations on your muffler mods. I was wondering if you physically removed the catalyst bar from the can or if it was still in there. If it was still in there it would seem that you would have alot of stored heat. I have a 359 E tech and have pondered whether to buy a pre-cat muffler and mod it or to just mod the cat muffler. The edge of the filter cover over the muffler on mine was starting to get alittle crisp. :blob2: I added a couple layers of metallic insulator's tape over the factory "heat shield" tape and so far it seems to working. Take care.

359 muffler mod

Yes the cat is still in there.But as I stated I drilled 2 holes (vertical)which split the cat in two.Then I bent the cat halves toward the front hole creating a vee.This is directing all the exhaust toward that hole.Just had it out,runs nice and cool,and i cut one full pickup load of cherry on 1 tank of gas!!I am very happy.Might drill front hole bigger yet.
Ed

Pics if you can

314epw said:
Yes the cat is still in there.But as I stated I drilled 2 holes (vertical)which split the cat in two.Then I bent the cat halves toward the front hole creating a vee.This is directing all the exhaust toward that hole.Just had it out,runs nice and cool,and i cut one full pickup load of cherry on 1 tank of gas!!I am very happy.Might drill front hole bigger yet.
Ed

Co-worker has a 359 etech and I'd like to help him out w/ it. It's a nice running saw already, but better breathing would really boost it. If you could pop a few pics that I could show him so he'd know we're not talking about butchering the saw, just modding the muffler...

The two holed you drilled from the back were ONLY thru the cat, right?

Chaser

I will be happy to get pics.Just give me some time.Because of all the rain(10 in.) I am way behind in my cutting. Landing is pure slop!
Ed

Back