371xp tear down & rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkranger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my 371 after tear down. 2nd pic shows the main reason for tear down, broken case, also note dented muffler(these do not make good wheel chocks as someone found out):biggrinbounce2: . P & C looks pretty good, will probably just install new rings. Have replacement muffler and will open it up a bit before install. Is there a way to split these mufflers? I'd like to experiment with the bad one first and would be easier to fix the dent if open.

Redneck clutch tool

Here's my homemade clutch hub removal tool.:rock:

Also, have a question for the Husky gurus. This saw was pi$$ing bar oil all over itself around the clutch area. What are the common causes? Are there seals to replace on the pump? It may have just been coming out from the oiler tube and running down I suppose. Just really a huge mess in there, like to avoid that while I've got it apart. Probably better for the clutch in the long run.:)

Here's my homemade clutch hub removal tool.:rock:

Also, have a question for the Husky gurus. This saw was pi$$ing bar oil all over itself around the clutch area. What are the common causes? Are there seals to replace on the pump? It may have just been coming out from the oiler tube and running down I suppose. Just really a huge mess in there, like to avoid that while I've got it apart. Probably better for the clutch in the long run.:)

Check if the crankcase was not cracked along the bar studs.Check also o ring condition at end of the copper tube.You dont need to replace your pump.They usually pi$$ ,but not that much,most oil coming out from the breather.And dont forget to install the TINY o ring on the crankshaft between the pto bearing and the clutch spacer.

Almost there.....

Well after much delay I've finally decided to get that 371 carcass off my reloading bench. First had to put the "new" cases back together w/crank (thanks PEST). Did not have access to official tool, but acquired some longer screws from Fastenal to close case to the point where OEM screws could finish the job. Worked out fine, using a slow, steady crossing pattern. Only problem was the longer screws weren't threaded for entire shaft and threads bottomed out at a point that the factory screws would only grab a thread or two. So rather than chance ripping out threads, used washers to space out the long screws and tightened to a safe point for OEM screws. Piece 'o cake.:clap: First pic shows cases joined waiting for rest of stuff. Amazing how some of those elusive small parts can go missing after a few months regardless of how well I thought I segregated them. The final pic shows the completed job sans muffler (not finished) and B/C. This saw was in rough shape physically when acquired at a yard sale, cracked case, dinged up muffler but was a good runner. Acquired good used cases and muffler from AS neighbors in VT, only new stuff were gasket set, filters, plug, recoil pulley and a clutch cover (ouch!) original was too cracked to deal with. Next have to finish muffler, fill 'er up and see how she rips.:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Really nice thread! Glad to see a few people here are working on their saws.

how long did it take you to re assemble

Oh, 'bout 4-5 hours total on a rainy Adirondack day. Took my time with the case assembling, didn't want to break it. The "real" case assembly tools would have been nice, but where's the fun in that. Also had some down time hunting down some elusive, small parts.:bang: I highly recommend anyone doing this type of operation not to put it down for four months, even when you think you've segregated and stored the parts properly. Of course I started the disassembly in the garage, then moved to re-assembly in my basement, might have little something to do with misplaced stuff. Maybe. And just to add a little more confusion to the parts hunting expedition there's a small crawler-tractor and another small engine tore apart in the garage as well. I've got a little more time to finish cleaning then painting the muffler, it was pretty cruddy but light years better than the dented original. Overall time not bad for a basement scwrench turner, but I guess it's a darn good thing I don't have to depend these "skills" to put the bread on the table.

Last edited:
Finally...............

It's done, for now. I got the muffler installed, had to re-tweak a couple things but she's ready for mix & oil!! I was originally going to mod the muffler, thought about porting and all but I decided in the end to leave as original for two reasons. One, I may end up using this saw on the job and as such it HAS to be original, no mods. Two, wanted to see if she was still a good runner after I putzed with it. Maybe down the road there may be some re-tweakin'.:chainsaw: I did clean up the transfers & intake really good and polished the exhaust port w/Dremel then finished by hand w/fine emery cloth.

When all's said and done I've got about $250 into this saw, beaucoup man-hours but we won't go there. Besides, it was about the learning experience anyways. I've never tore into a Husky before so wanted to see what made 'em tick. Here she is in all her glory.......:clap: :clap:

Vids

Tried to post a couple vids of her first cuts to no avail..:cry: They're avi files and less than 3.9 mb any thoughts???:bang: :bang: :angry2: :censored:

Latest posts

Back