• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 394xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 395 is just the newer updated version. Arguably it fixed some of the 394xp short comings. Pretty easy to swap topends and since it's like hens teeth to find a good 394 top end, you pretty much end up with a 395 when it needs fixed any way. I like mine for mill use, but it just sits. Just ignore bill. Good luck with your sale.

curious what 394 "shortcomings" are?
have had 3
also have 395 here, broke pto side case, good top end - could swap or repair - needs starter n muff to run
case broke at one o the mounts, so wouldnt be much fun to run like that
no complaints on 394 here
never run 395 tho

have had 3
also have 395 here, broke pto side case, good top end - could swap or repair - needs starter n muff to run
never run 395 tho
The bottom ends are basically identical from what I know. The cylinders and intakes are different. Quite common to warp the intake and have hot start issues on the 394. This pretty much went away with the rubber intake on the 395.

have had 3
never run 395 tho

I was told the crank in a 394 is stronger, but never owned either one, so not sure how true that statement was....

have had 3
never run 395 tho
The bottom ends are basically identical from what I know. The cylinders and intakes are different. Quite common to warp the intake and have hot start issues on the 394. This pretty much went away with the rubber intake on the 395.

Main issues with the 394 vs. 395 are the 394 intake block cracking and the older 394 coils browning or burning out. The hot-start issues didn't totally go away with the 395 but the hot-start issue with the 394 was relatively rare anyway. The main reason they went to the vibration-isolated carburetor was to remedy the intake blocks cracking. The older 394 mufflers with the bolt-on deflector is the best muffler that came on any of those saws.

The bottom ends aren't the same at all. The cranks are complete different as are the flywheels and are not interchangeable. The 394 crank and flywheel are superior pieces for longevity. The flywheel side stub shaft on the 394 crank is much more robust and has a different shape and the 394 flywheel has a conical steel insert where it mounts to the crank. One of the strongest saws I ever built was a ported 395 with a 394 crank and flywheel.

394 has 7.1 HP versus 395 6.5 HP just a comparison,
I've often wondered if those specs for the 394xp wishful thinking or if they really cut the nuts out of the 395xp. Haven't ever gotten to run them side by side, and I bought my 394 with a bad top end, so it got converted over to a 395xp top end.

Main issues with the 394 vs. 395 are the 394 intake block cracking and the older 394 coils browning or burning out. The hot-start issues didn't totally go away with the 395 but the hot-start issue with the 394 was relatively rare anyway. The main reason they went to the vibration-isolated carburetor was to remedy the intake blocks cracking. The older 394 mufflers with the bolt-on deflector is the best muffler that came on any of those saws.

The bottom ends aren't the same at all. The cranks are complete different as are the flywheels and are not interchangeable. The 394 crank and flywheel are superior pieces for longevity. The flywheel side stub shaft on the 394 crank is much more robust and has a different shape and the 394 flywheel has a conical steel insert where it mounts to the crank. One of the strongest saws I ever built was a ported 395 with a 394 crank and flywheel.
Interesting, that's not at all what I've been told, but like I just said I've not had them side side. Any parts I've needed have been pretty much Interchangeable from one to the other. If I ever have the flywheel off mine I'll have to look for the insert you mentioned. The intake was the issue with mine, and how I got it blown up. Top end parts were difficult to locate even back when for the 394, hence the swap over to 359 parts.

Back