550xp with bad piston need some info on rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

272super

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 550xp with a scored piston/cylinder. Looks like bad gas or so I hope. I can clean up the cylinder but will have to get the piston at the dealer. No Meteor on these. It's 2012 model with serial # 2000293. I know they had a few issues with some early carbs and coils right? Can anyone tell me if this ID number falls within that range? I don't know anything about how the cylinder got scored so I'm hoping it's not a carb issue. After I get it back together and assuming carb checks out OK,do I need to do anything as far as having it reset at a dealer,etc. or can i just fire it up and run it and let the autotune adjust? This is really a sweet machine,a real work of art. I'm sure it will be battling the 346 for trigger time. Thanks.

Last edited:
Remember, there are nothing different about these saws, it's still saw mechanics 101. Pressure and vacuum test the saw for any leaks. While you're replacing the piston, why the heck not check or replace that fuel line. You could ask your local Husky dealer about flashing the carb, it cant hurt to start from square one. Otherwise, when putting it back together, lube it up with some straight two stroke oil and you'll be sure to have some lubrication at first start up while it's adjusting.

If you don't know the cause of failure then double check everything, it's easier to do it now than after

If you don't know the cause of failure then double check everything, it's easier to do it now than after
Oh yea, I always vac/pressure test. If it was an air leak I'll find it. I'm just trying to determine if this serial number falls within the range of the early ones. I know the issues were few but if I can rule the carb and coil out then great. This saw will be treated like any other rebuild except for how I am supposed to determine if the carb is functioning beyond the obvious, like poor running or no start issues. Local dealers know little about them. Thanks

Last edited:
Back