60 foot tree could have been poisoned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is it possible to check to see if my neighbour has poisoned my 60 foot Kurrajong tree. the tree is near the side of our properties , they have only been neighbours for about 4 months but have complained about the tree since they moved in, the tree is approx 100 years old. Non invasive root system, never drops branches and is supposed to be a backyard friendly tree. since they put up a new side fence they said they had to cut through a small tree root that was in the post hole they were digging, it just seems really suspicious that now my tree has started to get die back straight after they did the fence, they are also ex farmers so would have all the chemicals if they wanted to harm the tree, i also told them they were entitled to trim their side of the fence line so the branches dont grow over their side. they trimmed the full side of the fence line even cutting off a 4 foot circumference branch at least a meter into my side of the yard. i will post a few pics of the tree, The tree has never had any dieback in 30 years that i have lived here, Can i send some soil or small branch somewhere to get tested. I am not saying the tree has been poisoned but just seems suspicious in my view.
fergi

tree pigs 017.JPG tree pigs 001.JPG tree pigs 014.JPG tree pigs 017.JPG tree pigs 001.JPG tree pigs 014.JPG you can see the severe prunning of the tree, the large stump halfway up the tree is one they cut off.the fence linedivides the green shed on the left,"my shed" and the lattice work on the right which is the neighbours

It may be stressed from over pruning. If too much was taken in one prune the tree will show signs of distress. Sorry about your tree.

A few thoughts, wow you guys still use TV antennas. :D
Not familiar with that tree, it looks taller than 60ft. The fence post hole that was dug, how far from the trunk?
Poison in the root zone would show on the contaminated side of the tree first, no just in the upper crown.
If a tree in my neck of the woods looked like that my fist guess is, it was hit by lightning 3-4 mounts ago.

Agree it's unusual for dieback to be on the side away from damage, but you never know how the tree's plumbing system operates.

does not look like poison or lightning from here. The pruning job was butchery, and the root loss may be significant. they were NOT entitled to trim their side of the fence line cutting off a 4 foot circumference branch. That in itself is a lot of shock.

thanks for the replies there guys, My property is on the left of the picture and the neighbour is on the right, It hasnt been hit by lightning raintree,we havent had any lightning here for a long time. Yes we still use tv antenaes here,we are out in the country about 80 k from town. It could be stress from the butchery job done cutting the tree.
The tree root that they said they cut and maybe the one they poisoned is only 6 foot from the fence pole Raintree.
fergi

just a few more close up pics of the tree, especially the large branch that was cut off. does anyone know if i can get it tested for poison.
fergi

Latest posts

Back