6401 Muff Mod done! Now WHAT?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four Paws said:
Thanks, Steve! I am excited to order it, and will definitely go with the 18" 3/8" .050" combo. The shop I got a quote from (and will end up buying from) told me $389 with an 18" bar and 2 chains. The other place told me $364.50 for the powerhead only. I thought that only $25 more for a bar and 2 chains was a pretty great deal!

Sounds like a very good deal. Round these parts, going price for a 16" bar and 3/8 chain is 409 plus tax, and that is with one chain.

I talked to my Dolmar guy, he said he ordered in a 24" bar for a customer. The customer told him that he was going to run it on the 5100. Dave said, ok, sure whatever and ordered him the bar. he tried to talk him out of it, but ordered it anyways.

Well, the bar came in, and Dave (dolmar dealer) called the customer to tell him it was in. He came up there with the saw, and Dave ran it in a 25" log for chits and giggles. Dave said he was purely amazed it pulled it at all, let alone as well as it did. He and I agreed, that it isn't something we would do, but for the guy who wants one saw and normally uses a 16-18" bar, it would handle a 24" on occasion. I think that speaks wonders for the power of the 5100. BTW, the wood was red Oak.

Like I said, the more I run it, the better it runs. I probably have about 15-20 tanks threw it now, and it still feels stronger. I opened up the muffler about two weeks ago, and have only really cut with it about twice since, but let me tell you that it is a totally differant saw. It is an animal now, and isn't really much louder than stock.

-Steve

Didn't get the magic call from my dealer today. Apparently the hard case he was ordering for me didn't come in yet.

So I'll have to wait another day to get my new toy. (sigh) :(

I am going to make the call in the morning and order my saw!

I think I will run the 5100S this fall/winter and look into buying the 7900 next year!

As far as chain - what brand and style do you guys like? I would prefer a 'non-safety' chain - but am pretty much a rookie when it comes to all this stuff. again, this will be 3/8" .050" chain.

If you're a rookie than I'm a newborn.

I'm still sawless.

Have never run one of these things.

Still have to get chaps and all the other PPE too.

To say this stuff intimidates me is a severe UNDERSTATEMENT!

But this site is great and you guys have been a lot of help! Thanks!

Hack said:
If you're a rookie than I'm a newborn.

I'm still sawless.

Have never run one of these things.

Still have to get chaps and all the other PPE too.

To say this stuff intimidates me is a severe UNDERSTATEMENT!

But this site is great and you guys have been a lot of help! Thanks!

Well, I have been sawing wood going on 13 years or so...pretty much my dad made all the decisions about equipment and purchasing when it came to the firewood business, I just turned wrenches and helped saw and split. I never was really 'into it' until now - on my own, buying my own stuff...you know. I think I am going to try my first port and tuned pipe job this winter!

Don't be intimidated - there is no need to be. Progress at your own pace, don't rush - that is when you make mistakes that could be potentially life threatening. When you fall your first tree, make sure it is an easy one - meaning straight, small (8-10" diameter) and on level ground with a clear escape route and not around any valuables (vehicles, houses, etc.). Just learn by doing - even the most experienced loggers were rookies at one time.

As far as PPE, I really want some chaps, but I don't have any yet. I do love my Husqvarna logging helmet - was worth the money!

LOL! You've been at this 13 years?!? You've just thrusted me back into an embryo stage! :laugh:

Concerning chaps, I really need to start a thread on that too...

Four Paws said:
Well, I have been sawing wood going on 13 years or so...pretty much my dad made all the decisions about equipment and purchasing when it came to the firewood business, I just turned wrenches and helped saw and split. I never was really 'into it' until now - on my own, buying my own stuff...you know. I think I am going to try my first port and tuned pipe job this winter!

Don't be intimidated - there is no need to be. Progress at your own pace, don't rush - that is when you make mistakes that could be potentially life threatening. When you fall your first tree, make sure it is an easy one - meaning straight, small (8-10" diameter) and on level ground with a clear escape route and not around any valuables (vehicles, houses, etc.). Just learn by doing - even the most experienced loggers were rookies at one time.

As far as PPE, I really want some chaps, but I don't have any yet. I do love my Husqvarna logging helmet - was worth the money!

Good info. I have a hardhat that has a face screen and earmuffs that I got when I worked at Rayco MFG (they make stump cutters) I use it when felling trees and working in the woods to protect my head from falling limgbs. I always have ear protection and safety glass on. That ringing you hear after you run a saw for a while (or any other loud machine for extended periods) is permanent hear loss.

I too have been cutting for 12-13 years. I also do not have chaps, but will be getting a set soon as I am getting into the GTG's and some low key races.

Just be carefull, and don't attempt to fell a tree you are not comfortable with. Consult someone with some experience to help or show you. I took a class on Chainsaw safety a long time ago. I think it was in boy scouts, but they have similar classes at community colleges and vocational schools. They showed us a video from Husqvarna that had some felling techniques that i still use today. Just be aware of the location of the tip of the bar. This is where a alot of people get hurt, from cutting on wood piles and the top of the tip catches another piece of wood. I am speaking from experience here, standing an 046 straight up an inch from you nose will make you think twice... Try to keep you face to the left side of the chain, in case something like kickback, chain derailing, etc would happend. Use the chainbrake when carrying your saw while it is running. (I shut mine off, as that is the best idea). Carry the saw with the bar behind you, so if you fall the bar isn't a spear into a part of your body. Common sense plays a big role in the use of a chainsaw.

Also, take your time, accidents happen when people get in a hurry. If you go go to the woods to drop trees, it is a good idea to have someone else there in case something would happen.

-Steve

Latest posts

Back