660 Dual Port Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Ok!!!!!

Just to clear up the spacer issue. The 064 muffler is longer then the 066. IFFFFF you put the shorter 066 muffler on an 064 you need a spacer between the muffler and the cylinder to space the muffler out to meet the case mounts on the top 2 bolts of the muffler. Has nothing to do with the dual port. The louvers direct the exhaust gasses away from the saw and the chain brake handle.

I had it right the first time the Spacer is behind the muffler???? and it moves the muffler out toward the front of the saw so the BOTTOM bolts that go through the muffler and into the crank case will fit properly??????

It is a pain, but I remove the entire baffle from my mufflers. I then grind it so it is flush and all that is left it the muffler itself. Even the slightest lip gets removed. Better flow - less restriction - better power.

Well that's what I thought, but Andy posted that it was stock on early 064's. I must have misunderstood. I didn't think it looked stock.

Jeff I think this is what the deal is

The Louver came off of an OLD 064 MUFFLER THAT Hautions had,, Yes he modded (slotted the starter side) of the 066 muffler on his new to him 066,,, so it would be dual ported then Cannablized the louver from the old Muffler in the first pic and installed the "FACTORY LOOKING" Louver WHEW!!!!!!!!:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Well for crying out loud, this is the most confusing muffler mod yet! All I want to know is if my information in my first post of this thread that the muffler mod was not factory was correct, or if Stihl ever put another port on the LH side of the back shell.

Thanks for translating RR2. I'm glad one of us is on the right track! :cheers:

I looked on my IPL. That spacer would let the shorter 066 muffler work on the 064. The 064 is still too long to go on the 066 or 660.

Yes, the OLD 064 muffler is too long.. later 064 muffers were the same as the 066 mufflers. It's a mess 'cos there were a couple of different cylinders and crankcases on the 064 also..

Latest posts

Back