9 degrees here and I am now using the Taylor OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosegunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got the wiring done today. Had the HVAC guy that installed the furnace hook it up. So far it is working great.

Primary/Secondary
Taco 4 zone panel
forced air furnace with perfect temp zone control system (2 zones each with own stat)

Aquastat on supply line right at water to air exchanger set to 130 degrees (normally closed).

Time delay set at 5 minutes normally open.

No change in thermostats. When either zone calls for heat it activates the secondary pump for the furnace. When the water is above 130 degrees the aquastat opens and heat is taken from the water coil.

If the water is below 130 for some reason the aquastat stays closed, the time delay closes and the gas furnace will function normally.

It does not circulate the secondary if the temp is below 130 but the primary will continue to circulate so it will not freeze.

Water to air exchanger is taking 20 degrees off supply temp. That is with 50 feet of uninsulated pipe from primary manifold in garage to furnace in basement.

Insulated attached garage temp at 44 degrees.

I am impressed with it so far, air is warm. The next few days will tell me about wood usage. Highs about 10, lows about 4.

gg

yep, it's definitely chilly out. I just fed the boiler an hour ago and it felt so nice standing there in front of the firebox I didn't want to close the door. I would have roasted marshmallows if I had them. You picked a fine time to get your boiler going!
:cheers:

Updated weather outlook for Saturday High 8, low -5.

Now I will be burning some wood!

The last 5 days I have been just circulating the primary loop. Didn't burn hardly anything when it was just going back to the boiler.

gg

I am glad to hear you got it all up and running.Time for it to start making itself useful. Paying you back

Updated weather outlook for Saturday High 8, low -5.

Now I will be burning some wood!

The last 5 days I have been just circulating the primary loop. Didn't burn hardly anything when it was just going back to the boiler.

gg

Congrats on the install and welcome to the world of free heat. My system is setup somewhat similar to yours except I use a 30 plate Water-2-water HX on a hydro air system. My aquastat on my boiler is at 140F. Like yours, if the incoming water from the OWB is too low, the oil burner will kick on. Enjoy flip-flops and shorts in the Winter....I do!

Congrats on getting your OWB up and burnin. Enjoy the warm temps...true sweat equity there.
Neighbor stopped over last weekend, and made the statement that it must be nice to run around the house in shorts and t-shirt in the winter... house is 73.
I'm laid up for a few days so wife has to keep the OWB filled...I couldn't resist and had to go out and watch her fill it up w/ wood last night. Gets addicting.

On my second year with a Taylor 450. Saving me $3000 a year on LP. One more year and its payed for itself.

First night using it for heat. Filled it up with double rows of oak rounds and splits. I kept it down below the smoke tubes in the back and about 6" from top of fire box on the front row.

10 hours later and there is a very nice mound of red coals and maybe 1/4 of the wood left.

I am going to watch it today without adding any wood so I can get an idea about burn time during this 10 degree high zero degree low temps.

The fire box is kind of small on the T450 so my wife will have to learn how to add wood when I work.

gg

Congrts on your set up.

One bad thing about heating your home with an OWB is the free heat!!
When we were heating with LP we kept the house around 69/70 now with the wood the house is always around 74 and if we get a bit chilly, I just crank it up a notch or two and tell myself that I'll cut a little extra for next year. It was -10 below the other night and I had to turn the heat down because the wive was a little upset with me. Something about the butter was starting to melt in the dish. Enjoy the free heat and a Happy New Years to Everyone

Ok It did get to 15 degrees today and sunny.

I have added 1 split piece of wood today still have a nice coal bed and a couple of pieces in there. Not bad for 17 hours.

gg

When we were heating with LP we kept the house around 69/70 now with the wood the house is always around 74 and if we get a bit chilly, I just crank it up a notch or two and tell myself that I'll cut a little extra for next year. It was -10 below the other night and I had to turn the heat down because the wive was a little upset with me. Something about the butter was starting to melt in the dish. Enjoy the free heat and a Happy New Years to Everyone

Ha!...:clap: That's classic.

Ok It did get to 15 degrees today and sunny.

I have added 1 split piece of wood today still have a nice coal bed and a couple of pieces in there. Not bad for 17 hours.

gg

I'm lucky to get a 12 hr burn when I fill my T450 with oak, but I'm heating a 3100 sq ft home, (older farm house) and a 450 sq ft work shop (well insulated). My wife likes to keep the house around 75. I keep the workshop @ 62 to keep my screen printing inks from getting stiff.

I would guess we burned around 8 full cord last year, looking like the same this year.

Last edited:
I'm lucky to get a 12 hr burn when I fill my T450 with oak, but I'm heating a 3100 sq ft home, (older farm house) and a 450 sq ft work shop (well insulated). My wife likes to keep the house around 75. I keep the workshop @ 62 to keep my screen printing inks from getting stiff.

I would guess we burned around 8 full cord last year, looking like the same this year.

Right now I am only heating a well insulated 12 year old home 1576 sq ft main level and 1250 sq ft finished lower level. I will be adding the garage soon. But that is insulated and was at 42 degrees today just form OWB pipe running through it.

gg

Good luck with the new stove! Does it not feel great to thumb your nose at the energy companies?

Good luck with the new stove! Does it not feel great to thumb your nose at the energy companies?

It sure does! It also feels nice and warm in the house with warm air from the duct work and warm registers. Something we didn't have with the lp furnace. It was more like luke warm at best.

gg

tell her to set the butter on the floor--cooler there--wont melt---:greenchainsaw:

Back