A close call...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help me understand what's going on here.
Why was his rope underneath the limb he was cutting to begin with? I'm (obviously) not a climber but even I could see the outcome before it happened.
His lifeline was properly tied into a different part of the tree. His flip line was around the branch he was cutting. In my eyes, he made two mistakes that led to this outcome:

1. His under cut was way too shallow. I'm sure he was worried about pinching his saw, but he could have gone deeper to avoid the peel.

2. This is a case where I would have found a different secondary tie in point, or if none were available or feasible, made an exception to the T.I.T.S. rule ( Tie in twice, stupid).

His lifeline was properly tied into a different part of the tree. His flip line was around the branch he was cutting. In my eyes, he made two mistakes that led to this outcome:

1. His under cut was way too shallow. I'm sure he was worried about pinching his saw, but he could have gone deeper to avoid the peel.

2. This is a case where I would have found a different secondary tie in point, or if none were available or feasible, made an exception to the T.I.T.S. rule ( Tie in twice, stupid).

This is a case where I would have made the cut with a single tie in.

A little more force and his pelvis would have broken and he would of suffered massive internal organ damage and he would have been dead hanging in a tree.

This is a case where I would have made the cut with a single tie in.

A little more force and his pelvis would have broken and he would of suffered massive internal organ damage and he would have been dead hanging in a tree.
Another option in this situation is a shallow undercut, followed by 2 vertical cuts, leaving a 2-3" tab in the center, then down through the tab.

Had he not been able to get his chainsaw going he could have cut his tensioned lanyard with a hand saw.

Also he could have wrapped the limb he was cutting with a speedline, etc, in case the limb split like it did. His lanyard would be below this wrapping.

It's good to see videos of happenings like this.

Hopefully it builds 'foresight' and helps others to not have to learn the hard way.

I bet that guy learned a lesson.

Almost 30 years ago this very thing happened to a good friend. He was still on the bole and just top cut a fairly small limb which then ripped down the trunk pulling him hard against the trunk, pulled in and downwards with spikes jamming into the bole. He couldn't reach where he needed to cut and had a single lanyard tie in around the bole. Luckily the limb hung for a few seconds and then broke free. Lucky dude for sure.

Had he not been able to get his chainsaw going he could have cut his tensioned lanyard with a hand saw.

Also he could have wrapped the limb he was cutting with a speedline, etc, in case the limb split like it did. His lanyard would be below this wrapping.

It's good to see videos of happenings like this.

Hopefully it builds 'foresight' and helps others to not have to learn the hard way.

I bet that guy learned a lesson.

Almost 30 years ago this very thing happened to a good friend. He was still on the bole and just top cut a fairly small limb which then ripped down the trunk pulling him hard against the trunk, pulled in and downwards with spikes jamming into the bole. He couldn't reach where he needed to cut and had a single lanyard tie in around the bole. Luckily the limb hung for a few seconds and then broke free. Lucky dude for sure.
It just happened to pop on my Facebook page and I thought it would be a good video to discuss and dissect as a cautionary tale, and thankfully it ended well...

I think I woulda ignored the T.I.T.S. for that cut, given where the lanyard was. Too much tension on the limb from the start. Looks like there may have been some other options for 2nd tie offs in other limbs.

There are much better workarounds than not using the lanyard.

1. He should have run the lanyard through his D-ring and clipped it back to the other side of his saddle. In this fashion, should the limb split like that, he would only have been pinned as tightly as the loop of rope pulled his D-rings down the branch. When you set your lanyard this way, it takes the climber out of the loop that draws tight when the limb splits. The lanyard takes the full load, and the climber is still secured.
  2. He shoulda been working with a bit sharper saw, and he should have made a deeper undercut. I always make pretty hefty undercuts, as I like to avoid tumbling branches that go everywhere when the spring-pole off the ground by hitting the tips first.

Latest posts

Back