A few questions on a Poulan Super 25DA (Model S25DA)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosterhog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys. A co-worker gave me a Poulan Super 25DA (Model # S25DA). It quit on him some years back so he just shelved it for a number of years and then gave it to me a few weeks back. I was happy to get it and the price was right (free). It is a complete saw and the bar and chain are at about 40%. It wasn't abused, but you can tell it was definitely used.

I put a carb kit in, installed new fuel lines/filter and I have it starting and running really well which is encouraging. The older saws just have a good sound ya know. I do have a few other issues to work out before I can cut with it that I need you guys' opinion on.

(1) The saw idles, but the chain continues to turn no matter how slow you idle it. The clutch also makes a clanking sound while it is idling. Is that probably a worn out clutch causing this? Weak clutch springs? At high speed it does fine.

(2) The saw puts oil to the bar like it should, but it also leaks oil bigtime. It's not that small amount you see coming from the bar. It leaks out the bottom of the saw. Before I go tearing into it, I was wondering if there is a likely cause. I would just put up with it, but my fear is that the oil gets into the flywheel and causes other messy problems.

(3) The rubber anti-vibration mount (also known as the isolator) on the handle is totally rotted. I cannot locate a replacement. Any ideas where I might get one or what else I could use instead? Is there another poulan rubber mount that would work?

(4) The saw does not seem to have a lot of vibration, but several of the screws vibrate loose quickly. What do you recommend to prevent this? Black RTV on the threads?

Thanks for your help. I've gotten some good help from here on some other saws as well. This is a great forum.:clap:

#1: Yup, weak spring and/or bearing worn to the point the drum drangs on the shoes.
#2: The diaphram oil pump is behind the flywheel at the bottom. Gasket may be leaking or diaphram ruptured. You will have to make your own gaskets. View attachment 183393View attachment 183394View attachment 183395View attachment 183396
#3: No help there.
#4: R U running #10-32 screws into a #12-32 hole? When you get the other problems sorted just use Loctite and forgetaboutit.:clap:

Thanks L36 Driver. Wow! You sent pics and everything. Thanks again.

I once had a '66 427/390 hp nassau blue convertible, but it became a diamond ring and a house.

Latest posts

Back