A walk in the woods with Bushman!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
So the beautiful weather had me itching to get out in the woods. Left the house it was 29. By noon it was 50. Loved it. My 029 Super was pouting int he corner of the garage so i scooped her up along with a fresh gallon of mix and headed for the woodlot.

I had a big cherry that I had bucked up but there was a few chunks that were real muddy so last time I was there I pulled them out of the mud with the winch on the quad so they could get washed off by the rain. It worked. These rounds are premium and could burn right now but I'm saving them for next year or for sale.
View attachment 228173
attachment.php

View attachment 228174
attachment.php

Then I headed for the big ash that I have been holding out on. (Save the easy ones for last)
View attachment 228175
attachment.php

View attachment 228176
attachment.php

I did save the big end for the o44/046 Hybrid that I will hopefully have out there next weekend.
This tree is a tank. My 029 is not a small saw body wise and here is a comparison. Lot of wood there.
View attachment 228177
attachment.php

The rest will be below!

So after the big ash I headed to another ash that had tipped over and was still attached to the stump. It was an easy cut because the tree was 4-5 ft off the ground.
View attachment 228179
attachment.php

That was it for me. I snapped a few pics of some trees that may be troublesome to get on the ground. This big ash is uprooted and stuck in the canopy.
View attachment 228180
attachment.php

This big Maple has had a bite taken out of it by a dinosaur I presume
View attachment 228181
attachment.php

One more thing is this big cherry they left after logging. Either they forgot it or it has some hollow spots
View attachment 228183
attachment.php

Hope you enjoyed your walk. Tomorrow I get to haul all of that out of the woods and home.

I really like my Dad's 029 x2

But I think my nephew is getting one of them and the other might be going to my brother - I hope they have a phone near by and know the hospital number :)

There strong running saws

I really like my Dad's 029 x2

But I think my nephew is getting one of them and the other might be going to my brother - I hope they have a phone near by and know the hospital number :)

There strong running saws

A couple more tanks of gas in my029 and I will be doing a muffler mod. just that wee bit more power for when the bar is buried!

Hey Bush, Nice pictures but not nice to tease.. Some of us still have snow in our woods and after that's gone, we'll have a few weeks of mud and muck to walk in. I was out a few weeks ago to top off my mineral pits and now we have this white stuff to cope with. My wife calls my addiction "Wood ####".. Looking at your pictures makes me wish I had a nice stack of logs to play with about now. I just might go out, start up the saw and smell the exhaust for a quick fix.

You should put a “Warning Notice” in your titles so guys like us don’t get withdrawals when looking at your pictures.

Nice pictures.. I wish it was me.

Don't mean to tease all you that are snow bound still but.............I had to get all that outta the woods!
It hit 65 degrees today. I was working up a sweat!

View attachment 228393
attachment.php

View attachment 228394
attachment.php

View attachment 228395
attachment.php

View attachment 228396
attachment.php

I figure there is easily a cord there. With that quad and wagon set up it only takes two trips into the woods to fill the truck up. Did three loads today. It's nice to borrow the quad from a friend. Most of the 5 cord I have stacked up behind the house was carried or sledded out of the woods by my wife and I. next trip I'm gonna have to take the splitter back into the woods with me. That giant ash is too big for me to pick up. I'm not noodling every one of those rounds either. There were some today that I split in half with the maul so I could lift them but they were tough as well.

I was all ready to go out cutting today but its snowing here :mad:

That one tree hung up couldn't you just drive your truck to it, wrap it in chain, and pull it to where you need it? Nice pics thanks

That one tree hung up couldn't you just drive your truck to it, wrap it in chain, and pull it to where you need it? Nice pics thanks

Nope too far back in the woods. It is about 16" around so there is some weight to it. too much for the quad. maybe a come along and a chain.

Looks like at wheeler did the trick for you. That's some nice looking wood.

Some of those hangers can be nasty. Seems like no two will fall the same. The guy down the road has 4 or 5 of them hangers that he wants me to take down for him. He's new to cutting and realized it was too much for him. I was glad that he was smart enough to realize it and asked.

That's a bigash tree. :biggrin: I don't cut Ash, but there doesn't seem to be very much heartwood. Almost like Poplar.

That's a bigash tree. :biggrin: I don't cut Ash, but there doesn't seem to be very much heartwood. Almost like Poplar.

Everything else equal, ash is by far and away my fav firewood. Yes, it doesn't throw the btus quite as good as the even denser species, but considering it cuts like a dream, splits like a dream, comes half seasoned as soon as you cut it, dries faster than most other hardwoods to finish off seasoning, and throws a good bit of heat and is high on the charts...my fav. Plus, it's pretty in the stacks. That doesn't mean a lot, but just some frosting on the cake there.

Ash makes firewooding look easy don't it?

Yep! Ash and tulip poplar, almost like cutting up cartoon perfect trees. Make just very nice "perfect" rounds. The ash splits easy right then, let the poplar sit until it is deep checked, that splits easy then too. I could get by pretty good with just those two species. That would cover all the heat season well, shoulder seasons and mid winter.

Back