Adding a Second thermostat for OWB... yes I know

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_kindig11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok guys, I know there's a lot of posts here on this but I can't seem to find the answers I need. I just finished installing a Central Boiler 6048 and now have the thermostat situation left. I want to add a second thermostat to control just the OWB. I'd like to control just the "fan" from the furnace with the 2nd thermostat. I've read that I can tap into the Fan On/Auto switch. Basically cut the wire, run each end to the additonal thermostat to control the fan but do I just put one of those wires on the W and the other on R? If so, what about a power to the additional thermostat? My existing thermostat has these wires.

G Fan
Y Cooling
W Heat
RC A/C power
R Furnace power

My additional thermostat is only a 2 wire.

W Heat
R Furnace power

What is the best way to connect the additional thermostat to run the fan at a certain temp, then have the existing thermostat as a propane backup heat set at a lower temp?

I tried wiring the 2nd thermostat as stated in the central boiler manual (jumper wire from G of existing stat to W of additional stat, and jumper from R of existing stat to R of original stat) This turns on my blower properly but it also turns on my A/C compressor so that obviously won't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have hot water radiator heat in my house so I had it set up so that I could run just the house pump off of a thermostat when heat was needed. The OWB runs 24/7 so that there is always hot water in the exchanger if the house needs heat. I was not near smart enough to figure out how to hook this up myself so I had it done by a local heat/cool company. If you can get it figured out it is a great system as my house is set at 70* all the time and my back up LP furnace is set to come on at 60* should the OWB malfunction.

My simple solution was to just turn the air conditioning breaker off. And disconnect the yellow wire from the #1 tstat. I just reconnect it in the spring.
Hope this helps.

Steven

It seems I may be got it. I took the G (fan) wire off the existing stat and hooked it to the W of the additional stat (instead of using a jumper wire). I then ran a jumper wire from R to R on the two stats. Everything heat wise works as it should. AC does not come on when in heat mode. Then when I switch to AC mode, the AC comes on like it should. The only thing I need to experiment with is what the secondary stat needs to be set at during the summer when running AC so I don't have the fan running when the AC is not. I'm going to look into different scenarios tomorrow but for now, it's midnight and my bed is calling.

this seems to have worked for me. I shut the 2nd thermostat off when i turned the air on seemed to cycle fine.

I had that similar problem with mine a few years ago. Company I bought it from directed me to put in what he called "a peanut switch". Never heard of it, couldn't figure it out, finally ran a wire out to a light switch by the furnace to isolate the airconditioner-simple on in summer, off for the winter when the other thermostat was calling for heat. Would have to look at manual now to recall which wires I tapped.

Back