"Adopted" a neglected Stihl 039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've recently "adopted" a neglected Stihl 039. The fella had leaky caps and bent(bowed) bar. Definitely signs of abuse. Made me want to call Chainsaw Protective Services(CPS). I took the tyke in to the doctor for a check up. They didn't x-ray but closely examined the bar studs for "green-stick fractures" caused by the abusive parents when they bent the bar. While under the professional care I had them tweak and tune the carb(HD-5 non-EPA) to compensate for the muffler mods. Kiddo needs to eat well and breath plenty of fresh air to grow up strong. The good news is that his spirit wasn't broken, with 155psi and a clear clean cylinder this fella will have a brighter future and a much better home. We left for home equipped with a new 20" B&C and a 25" B&C for "special occasions".

AR

That's cool, its nice to fix up a beat saw. i have one on the bench now a beater 372. I think a 25'' b&c is a bit of a tall order for a 39, but that's just me. have fun

C SAW 90,

Understand fully concerning the 25". Defiantly not for everyday use. Most of what I cut for firewood I can do with my 026, perhaps my all time favorite saw. I picked the 039 up cheap for the bigger work using 20" B&C on a regular basis. I added the 25" for a little extra "reach" bucking larger wood. I do not seek out large trees to fell but clear storm damaged trees from property that I have access to on regular basis. The owner likes things tidy. Living trees that are "invasive" or diseased are fair game. He allows his land to be used by our Boy Scout troop and we go through a good amount of wood for the camp fires as well, especially in winter outings. The camp fire is still getting fed from hurricane IKE. There is so much of that that is still plenty usable for the fire pit. Lots of beech. Ripped a few big pieces in half to make some nice bench seats last visit. I had to roll things over to finish from the other side and that's when I decided to get another saw. This is by no means an every day, extended time kind of task that I would perform but the 039 would have been nice to have then. No illusions of strapping an Alaskan saw mill to it either.

AR

Pics of the benches or 039?

Here are the bench slabs cut with the old 026. A bit much to ask from the 49cc engine but, well it "got 'er done".

ripping benches.jpg

For those of you looking for "noodles", consider that this logs is wet and frozen? They were there when the bar approached horizontal.

Splitting benches.jpg

Benches got set on some short sections of old telephone pole "Lincoln logs" to keep them up off the ground.

I'll snap something for the 039 soon.

AR

This may be a "can of worms", but why is there such low opinion about "clam shell" style engines? Straight up, they are NOT a "Pro Grade". I get that. Their design makes tear down difficult and modification nearly impossible when compared to the custom porting that can be done on other Pro grade saws. Isn't that just a trade off for the simplistic design allowing for reduced machining and for a more economical price point? To put it simple, it is what it is!

I think of this like the Google Chrome book that I'm banging out this text on. It's a Linux based operating system with a modest processor and meager amount of main memory. It has no CD drive and if I decided to partake in online gaming, software would be limited or uncompatible with the operating system. I can not install an advanced video card like in a desktop computer or enhanced motherboard w/ new bigger CPU. Its a net(Chrome)book! It is what it is! At best I can add 1-memory module and ensure that I have a good network connection.....

I think of all these computer examples like 1) muffler mod. 2) Well tuned carb. 3) Fresh filters(air, gas & oil).

If I want a computer that I can hack & mod I'll go with a full sized desktop but for now I'm still banging away on my Chrome book.

AR

This may be a "can of worms", but why is there such low opinion about "clam shell" style engines? Straight up, they are NOT a "Pro Grade". I get that. Their design makes tear down difficult and modification nearly impossible when compared to the custom porting that can be done on other Pro grade saws. Isn't that just a trade off for the simplistic design allowing for reduced machining and for a more economical price point? To put it simple, it is what it is!

I think of this like the Google Chrome book that I'm banging out this text on. It's a Linux based operating system with a modest processor and meager amount of main memory. It has no CD drive and if I decided to partake in online gaming, software would be limited or uncompatible with the operating system. I can not install an advanced video card like in a desktop computer or enhanced motherboard w/ new bigger CPU. Its a net(Chrome)book! It is what it is! At best I can add 1-memory module and ensure that I have a good network connection.....

I think of all these computer examples like 1) muffler mod. 2) Well tuned carb. 3) Fresh filters(air, gas & oil).

If I want a computer that I can hack & mod I'll go with a full sized desktop but for now I'm still banging away on my Chrome book.

AR
Not to worry, Many here rag on the clam shell style saws,,, In spite of the ragging they are quite durable saws for what they are. if properly cared for with good lube, Fuel Mix and sharp chains it will put tons of firewood on the ground for you... Happy cutting

clam shell vs "pro grade" argumants are like high school cliques. when used as they where intended both will cut alot of wood and last a long time.some even bash clam shells without even have run one.

Latest posts

Back