Adventures in burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerboybill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all,

Been a month since I was on here and this time I brung pics....

The Saw on the trunk is an Echo CS 8000, my first "new" saw. It has a 36 inch bar on it, to give you an idea on how big this maple was. It's been down for four years and the neighbor couldn't get anyone to come get it. He was about to roll it into the ditch when he found out I bought an OWB. Trees this big are a bear to cut up as you all know. I've hauled 6 loads off so far and am sure there's 2 more to go. The smaller stuff is too punky and will be burned in a bonfire on-site. I figure this'll be a 6-7 cord tree.

The splitter is an ugly scabbed up unit I bought off craigslist for 550 bucks with 3 stihl 026 saws. I gave the saws to a friend of mine who helps me out quite a bit. The splitter, while UGLY works awesome. It has gobs of power.

The pickup is a 2000 Ford 7700 My grandpa bought new. he passed away in 2004 and I got it in 2005. It's had a rough life - 152000 hard miles. I've taken it to Wichita KS once, and Owenton KY three times. I pull a 14K GVW deckover trailer and a 12K dump trailer with it. It's gotta last me another 50K miles...

way to load up and get into the big wood. Gonna want to invest in a headacher - or at least a sheet of plywood - for the rear wind if you're going to haul loads like that!

thx for sharing!

179096d1302150139-0326110803b-jpg

179097d1302150160-0326111621a-jpg

179098d1302150189-0326111621b-jpg

179099d1302150211-0326111622a-jpg

Hey outdoor,

Thanks, how do you do that?

There are several ways...I just copied your attachments and used the insert image link to embed them...

If you search posting pictures there is more than enough info to confuse the average poster...:hmm3grin2orange:

There are several ways...I just copied your attachments and used the insert image link to embed them...

If you search posting pictures there is more than enough info to confuse the average poster...:hmm3grin2orange:

I still haven't figured out how to post pics after the software change!:bang:

Hey all,

Been a month since I was on here and this time I brung pics....

The Saw on the trunk is an Echo CS 8000, my first "new" saw. It has a 36 inch bar on it, to give you an idea on how big this maple was. It's been down for four years and the neighbor couldn't get anyone to come get it. He was about to roll it into the ditch when he found out I bought an OWB. Trees this big are a bear to cut up as you all know. I've hauled 6 loads off so far and am sure there's 2 more to go. The smaller stuff is too punky and will be burned in a bonfire on-site. I figure this'll be a 6-7 cord tree.

The splitter is an ugly scabbed up unit I bought off craigslist for 550 bucks with 3 stihl 026 saws. I gave the saws to a friend of mine who helps me out quite a bit. The splitter, while UGLY works awesome. It has gobs of power.

The pickup is a 2000 Ford 7700 My grandpa bought new. he passed away in 2004 and I got it in 2005. It's had a rough life - 152000 hard miles. I've taken it to Wichita KS once, and Owenton KY three times. I pull a 14K GVW deckover trailer and a 12K dump trailer with it. It's gotta last me another 50K miles...

Thanks for the pics.

That is a good-sized tree!

:cheers:

Good stuff there... And that Maple should be good and dry by this winter.:rock: Good looking saw too... :msp_wink:

Goofy half ton ford with 7 lug nut wheels. They really screwed the pooch with that idea. I do give them good marks for upping the GVWR to 7700 though.

Hey all,

The Echo pulls the 36 inch bar just fine until you hit steel...

I went back today to try to finish up the job and broke my chain. There was a 1/2 inch cable in the crotch. Being a yard tree on a farm, I was not surprised in the least. Turns out the kids used to ride a manure bucket between two trees back in the 60's and 70's I wish they would took the cable down after they were done... I shoulda got a pic and maybe I will tomorrow. Gonna cost $32 for a new Oregon chain from the local Stihl dealer.

This tree's gettin' more 'spensive...

BTW, I don't mind the 7 bolt hubs. It makes the ol' girl unique and I get to make people count my lugs a couple times before they realize they ARE 7 bolt.

Bill in WI

Good start , and thanks for the pics, now there is a lot more wood to collect to feed the owb. Ya got any pics of your ford hooked up to your trailers?

Beefie

Hey all,

The Echo pulls the 36 inch bar just fine until you hit steel...

BTW, I don't mind the 7 bolt hubs. It makes the ol' girl unique and I get to make people count my lugs a couple times before they realize they ARE 7 bolt.

Bill in WI

ouch.

lol...I counted them 3 times,I thought my eyes were going crazy :dizzy:

Back