after using a distel forawhile i kinda dont like it so much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeweight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
it holds GREAT ,no slip ,but when descending man prussic cords burn the hell outta your hand plus its such a small hitch ,think i might go back to the blakes

i do a 4 over 1 ,10mm beeline

think ill get either XTC or neopro rope and just use the 5/2 blakes

ive used neopro in the past and man that rope is tough,burn right out of the tree and just small bit of glaze and i mean small

xtx seems that way as well

trueblue glazes BAD ,but a great rope

blue streak wasnt bad

wish dealers had poles and lines set aside to test

if i got a 1/2" rope either xtc or NEO and odered say 6 feet of 11mm rope will a distel or schwabish perform ok if i made a E2E out of the 11mm rope?

I've been using the Distel with a 10mm beeline E2E for a few years and really like it. IMO if you're burning the cord, your hands or glazing the rope on long descents then you should be using figure 8 or other device with the hitch as the backup.

Last edited:
020-1.jpg

is that a blakes^^?

what i was talking was using a 1/2 in life line and a 11mm hunks to make a e2e for a distel ?? not blakes hitch although i like blakes hitch i really like how a distel or schwabish

is that a blakes^^?

what i was talking was using a 1/2 in life line and a 11mm hunks to make a e2e for a distel ?? not blakes hitch although i like blakes hitch i really like how a distel or schwabish

Its a prussick, actually its just 2 girth hitches. The e2e never comes of the beener, its very quick on and off, bare bones, I tend not to over-do friction hitch set-ups, I don't even use a pulley. I use the fatter blue stuff because its feels good in the hand but will burn up if you start to fly. I am 160 pounds, I don't know if the 4 wrap prussick/girth will hold heavier, I don't have a problem, but it can be wound one more time for a total of 6 wraps. I don't use it for ascension but for working the tree.

On my lanyard I am using the typicall VT with a pulley, I have extra wraps and braids in my VT, Its a little tight to adjust sometimes.

Last edited:
I tried playing around with all that crap for a while.. Maybe I'm just to set in my ways to change! Lol.

attachment.php

I tried a bunch of stuff too, it got to be a little much. For a general friction hitch that isn't very technical or exspensive and actually helps makes things eassier and more fluid while doing actuall tree work this little blue rope set up is pretty nice.

Its a prussick but it doesn't act like the one you tie with climbing line. Its smaller dia give positive lock and ease of release when desired. There is no extraneous BS to get in the way.

tautline 2 over 2 for me you cant teach a old dog new tricks :hmm3grin2orange: thats just the way all the old timers did it and thats what they taught me i will probably try some of the diffrent friction hitches out some where down the line when i get bored lol no time for that tho

think ill just stick to the blakes ,the prussik is nice but somtimes binds do you have that problem much?

i know the swchabish(sp) can b used with 1/2 line

i really like how the distel holds and doesnt slip but damn it gets HOT when descending i like simple aswell but i felt really secure with the distel

ahwell

If your still climbin with a taughtline you need to have your head examined for rot, or potential splits. Mabye theres a lil included bark you cant see up there. TRue blue sux, too much stretch, and if you even look at it with a running saw it'll fall apart. Guy I know tried to start a petition to get them to stop making it after something bad happened. I do a distel, but I find I need to change the amount of wraps depending on how new the Hi-Vee , or Tenex is. Still better than a taughtline, but I bet it'd be cheaper to do a blakes, considering how many prusics I burn up. (long run cost analasis) You made me think, I started using a prusic cus it was closer, the Blakes seemed to make me reach too far in awkward positions.

I tried playing around with all that crap for a while.. Maybe I'm just to set in my ways to change! Lol.

Cool! That is the TRUE taut-line hitch, as taught by the Boy Scouts of America.

I learned to climb on that one; works ok, but it doesn't release too well. I really like a VT a lot better, even though it doesn't slide down out of the tree nearly as well.

whats wrong with the tautline i know guys that have been climbing with it 20+ years there still living and climbing trees i tried the blakes i didnt like how hot it gets with long descends (100-150 foot doug fir trees)all day long which would you recomend since my head is so rotten:bang::bang:lol

whats wrong with the tautline i know guys that have been climbing with it 20+ years there still living and climbing trees i tried the blakes i didnt like how hot it gets with long descends (100-150 foot doug fir trees)all day long which would you recomend since my head is so rotten:bang::bang:lol

The taughtline went out of style after it started God knows how many tree services.... it's all about hitch cords, experimenting with different diameter ropes and getting it all "dialed in", now-a days. lol.

I think the bucket needs a greasing... :laugh:

i started with the tautline 2under 3 actually with TRUE BLUE

it is all about finding your own knot and setup ,but i hate using somthing im not comfy with 100ft

i know people that tie some weird hitchs (3 up 2 under,tautline style etc)

you know everything went smoother when it was just the blakes and tautline in my arsenal :)

i was thinking today if it was possible to get a schwabish to work with just a climbing line tie to biner with a tail and maybe make a dble fishman knot to connect back to biner ,just out of curiousity that is

ive come to really dislike how small the beeline feels ,i liked just wrapping the line up as many times as i can and attching it to biner than the distel ,more to hold

Back